Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exporting to PSD as Layers

Hello

Have a printer who needs a file as PSD with layers as they can't seem to print the pdf files, they want the psd so they can manipulate the images on the flyer.

I have exported to PSD but notice no layers in photoshop elements.

Can I get the file with layers for photoshop.

Thank you appreciate any help on this

Default Re: Exporting to PSD as Layers

Find another printer. Would you upload the pdf?

Exactly, I told the printer all printers I deal with use pdf files. The situation is I already paid a deposit and getting it back I know will be an issue. I have attached a compressed copy as the commercial one is too large to attach I would believe.

I am hoping that I can get the layers as a psd file in Xara.kayak.pdf

As soon as I get back to the computer I'll take a look at the pdf.

For uploading larger files one needs to use dropbox.com or the like and provide a download link.

If I had used XDP and needed to do this, and I used layers in XDP, you should be able to export a layered pdf and open the pdf in photoshop and maintain the layers.

I am assuming your print file has bleed and all elements that reach the page edges extend into the bleed area. Correct?

As is, it opens in PS just fine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003449.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	108792

I cannot imagine why the printer would need layers. However, I would recommend you make a copy of the print XAR file, then manually convert the fonts to curves (editable shapes). That will avoid any issues the printer may have by not having the fonts you used. They did embed properly though.

Unfortunately, a layered PDF can only maintain layers out of AI and PS when imported into PS. To maintain layers out of XDP, you'll need to move logical items to layers and export one layer at a time and import that. If it is all in layers already, I can do that for you if you wanted.

However, with bleed set up and the items that have to bleed actually go into the bleed area, after converting the text to curves I cannot imagine why the printer would need layers.

Hi Mwenz

I am not sure why they want layers either but have to figure out how to get it done. Here is the commercial one with bleed. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxppexcmt9...kayak.pdf?dl=0

Not to clear what you mean by export layer by layer, can you explain or send an example.

Really appreciate your help on this. I can send the xara file if needed.

Thanks again

I would need the Xara file.

The PDF would never print/image as desired. From what I can tell from the PDF, live elements (like text) is too close to the edges, elements don't bleed properly, and then there is that large colored background which ought not to be present.

Mike

Is this offset printing? If so he probably needs it broken down so he can make four plates .

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rivers View Post
    Is this offset printing? If so he probably needs it broken down so he can make four plates .

Bob
    No. That's not the process whether digital or offset.

Please forgive the delay, sorry about that, here is the xara file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrjuhtiv30...flyer.xar?dl=0

Thank you for taking a look at this for me. I am thinking of using the trial version of Photoshop as they want the PSD file.

Thanks again