Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: cloud.xara discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Case#2 you have a client who wants to collaborate remotely with you on a document. The client needs to have either dropbox or google drive and an account on Xara.com you prepare a shared folder and invite them to access it. You create the document and save it to the shared folder now both you and your client have access and they can edit and update it using Cloud X
    Does your client also need to have purchased v11?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

No, but they do need to sign up for an account at xara.com see here and here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The reason I ask is that in the quick start guide it says"2.Choose the Xara sign-in option and enter the username and password you used to purchase Web Designer."

It's a pain not being able to use this feature in the trial version but like others I'll have to wait for Designer Pro X 11 release before upgrading and testing this feature.

One place I can see it quite good for is for a client to update doc in Google Drive, check it in Xara Cloud and resize it's placeholder to fit the new contents size. How simple this may be I can't tell without testing and how much is a licence for a client going to cost to have this ability?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Can we do this, with the new Cloud option:

We have Instructor all around the world. We publish web sites for those who want them. Right now we import a profile page and a class schedule page from another site that they can update. Not a great solution.

With X version 11 could we create a Profile page for them in Xara - and a page for Class Schedules - that they could then update themselves?

That would save me a lot of work... which is the main goal.

I presume they could do those simple Text and Picture updates without having to buy Xara?

Here is a sample of the web sites we provide to them:

silvaseminars.com

If this will work, I am ready to do it right now.

Will appreciate any insights, ideas, suggestions.

Thanks.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, it appears that you have to purchase WD11 before you can do anything with cloud.xara

So, those of us, who use Designer Pro, and who are waiting for that upgrade, can't really take part!
    If you own Designer Pro 10 you can purchase WD11 for $19.95 so you can start working with it while you wait for DP11 to come out. I did that last year when WD10 came out and will probably do it again this year. That money DOES NOT get applied against your upgrade purchase of DP11, so you are basically paying $20 to start playing 3 months early - I'm still trying to figure out if I have permission to give that copy of WD11 to an employee when I update to DP11 later this year?

Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out if I have permission to give that copy of WD11 to an employee when I update to DP11 later this year?
    The EULA allows for transfer of license.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    The EULA allows for transfer of license.
    yes - that is true. However, the $19.95 option is called a "crossgrade" so I don't know that they consider it a stand-alone version of WD11.

In other words. If I buy the $19.95 crossgrade today... then, in three months I buy XD11 upgrade do I own TWO copies of software (WD11 + XD11) or just one... seems that since they are using the crossgrade as a "bridge" it is not meant to be used after XD11 is purchased.

But - I could be wrong...

Doesn't matter.
    Read the EULA in Help.

Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
    since they are using the crossgrade as a "bridge" it is not meant to be used after XD11 is purchased.
    Where did you get this notion from?
    Source please.

EDIT: BTW, a 'crossgrade' is when you come from Competing Graphics titles, such as CorelDraw.

I think its one of the most exciting and highly anticipated Upgrade I have seen in a long time and cant wait to see how its developed in the long term.

I have a range of clients that are perfectly described in the cloud.xara documentation

None of my clients have had the 30 years of graphic design background I have and they love the way I can turn out bespoke sites (Ok often higly modified templates if Im being honest)
    They surely dont want to have to worry about FTP Analytics resolutions typography and the like - but hey many of them use Facebook Word processors they can do the basic stuff.
    After sometimes weeks of work meetings and aproval stages and testing we go live - and then the hardest part Get Paid.

Then you get a call that makes you want to cry - "Can you email us the password so we can change the Contact Us page - or the Vacancies page ...... yes they suddenly decide CMS was a good idea after all!

I actually LIKE the way only certain aspects are editable - and if this is widened to include more editing of say groups then a Webmaster Lockdown of some areas may become necessary.

I have read through the documentation twice now and these threads and I am still a little fuzzy about client access and needs for them to have an account - or have a copy of WD - Forcing my clients to have a Xara Account
    I think I would prefer a system that I pay for a number of users per site - pop in their Gmail or Dropbox email address and Bingo we are sharing!

I could also see a scenario in larger organisations where departments can access different sections of the site (I guess could be a series of mini-sites on same domain) Sales - HR - Support etc

So Thanks for all the effort Xara is putting into this - I'm chuffed - Roll On July-ish for Xara Designer Pro 11