Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: cloud.xara discussion thread

Unless I'm missing something, it appears that you have to purchase WD11 before you can do anything with cloud.xara

So, those of us, who use Designer Pro, and who are waiting for that upgrade, can't really take part!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, it appears that you have to purchase WD11 before you can do anything with cloud.xara

So, those of us, who use Designer Pro, and who are waiting for that upgrade, can't really take part!
    If you own Designer Pro 10 you can purchase WD11 for $19.95 so you can start working with it while you wait for DP11 to come out. I did that last year when WD10 came out and will probably do it again this year. That money DOES NOT get applied against your upgrade purchase of DP11, so you are basically paying $20 to start playing 3 months early - I'm still trying to figure out if I have permission to give that copy of WD11 to an employee when I update to DP11 later this year?

Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out if I have permission to give that copy of WD11 to an employee when I update to DP11 later this year?
    The EULA allows for transfer of license.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    The EULA allows for transfer of license.
    yes - that is true. However, the $19.95 option is called a "crossgrade" so I don't know that they consider it a stand-alone version of WD11.

In other words. If I buy the $19.95 crossgrade today... then, in three months I buy XD11 upgrade do I own TWO copies of software (WD11 + XD11) or just one... seems that since they are using the crossgrade as a "bridge" it is not meant to be used after XD11 is purchased.

But - I could be wrong...

Doesn't matter.
    Read the EULA in Help.

Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
    since they are using the crossgrade as a "bridge" it is not meant to be used after XD11 is purchased.
    Where did you get this notion from?
    Source please.

EDIT: BTW, a 'crossgrade' is when you come from Competing Graphics titles, such as CorelDraw.

I think its one of the most exciting and highly anticipated Upgrade I have seen in a long time and cant wait to see how its developed in the long term.

I have a range of clients that are perfectly described in the cloud.xara documentation

None of my clients have had the 30 years of graphic design background I have and they love the way I can turn out bespoke sites (Ok often higly modified templates if Im being honest)
    They surely dont want to have to worry about FTP Analytics resolutions typography and the like - but hey many of them use Facebook Word processors they can do the basic stuff.
    After sometimes weeks of work meetings and aproval stages and testing we go live - and then the hardest part Get Paid.

Then you get a call that makes you want to cry - "Can you email us the password so we can change the Contact Us page - or the Vacancies page ...... yes they suddenly decide CMS was a good idea after all!

I actually LIKE the way only certain aspects are editable - and if this is widened to include more editing of say groups then a Webmaster Lockdown of some areas may become necessary.

I have read through the documentation twice now and these threads and I am still a little fuzzy about client access and needs for them to have an account - or have a copy of WD - Forcing my clients to have a Xara Account
    I think I would prefer a system that I pay for a number of users per site - pop in their Gmail or Dropbox email address and Bingo we are sharing!

I could also see a scenario in larger organisations where departments can access different sections of the site (I guess could be a series of mini-sites on same domain) Sales - HR - Support etc

So Thanks for all the effort Xara is putting into this - I'm chuffed - Roll On July-ish for Xara Designer Pro 11

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    Doesn't matter.
    Read the EULA in Help.

Where did you get this notion from?
    Source please.

EDIT: BTW, a 'crossgrade' is when you come from Competing Graphics titles, such as CorelDraw.
    Magix uses the term "crossgrade" when going from one of their products to another similar product, usually the one that is the next step up. For example, I received a "crossgrade" offer recently to go from Samplitude Music Studio to Samplitude Pro X2. "Crossgrade" was in the subject in the email from Magix.

As for the $19.95 offer, it is only available for registered users of Designer Pro X10 (for those who can't wait for DPX11), so I doubt that one could transfer it to someone who did not have DPX10. Xara may have this restriction buried somewhere when you go to buy it. If not, perhaps one could "legally" do a transfer, but it wouldn't be right, at least IMHO. Otherwise, we could all buy it for $19.95 and transfer it (sell it for more) to others.

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Magix uses the term "crossgrade" when going from one of their products to another similar product, usually the one that is the next step up. For example, I received a "crossgrade" offer recently to go from Samplitude Music Studio to Samplitude Pro X2. "Crossgrade" was in the subject in the email from Magix.
    Sorry, I was discussing Xara software and terminology used on the Xara website.