For my Concept Design, class, our first assignment is to create a poster advertising a concert for a band of your choosing (I chose internet artist/dj Macross 82-99) happening on the 4th of July at 8pm in San Diego Harbor. Techniques to develop the concept discussed in class were used (and reviewed before getting to the thumbnail and then comp stage) from which 12 completely different concepts were developed then one was chosen, 6 different layouts were sketched and then one was chosen then finally, I started working on the poster.

Keep in mind, it's not finished yet (it's missing some details and minor elements like an American Flag bowtie for the bottom left corner of the image).

The concept for this was satirizing Americana and consumerism, themes with the band/artist. The artist themselves has a strong 'feel' of sci-fi anime, so I set the whole thing in a post apocalyptic desert of a future ruled by giant robots (you can see one reflected in the soda can). As well, the music itself has a very 'classic 80s' feel, so for the entire look, I wanted an 'airbrushed album cover' type look.

So this is everything 'academic' behind it. And now the almost done (about 75% done in my estimation) poster. I'll update tomorrow when I finish it up (it's due monday).

Any critiques or problem areas (especially the information...I'm hoping that it works since the only text that's in english is the concert information and am hoping this is enough to convey everything...I put the information about the 4th in the 'exploding corner' in order for audience to instantly see it and get a 'feel' that this is something related somehow before the rest of the poster is viewed from top to bottom)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poster-wip.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	107262