Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Google webmaster tools -

Hi all

I have received some messages on Google webmaster tools re some sites that I am hosting saying that there are some issues with mobile usability.

It lists things like touch elements too close, small font size, use of flash etc.

I think that I can resolve most of these through revisiting the layouts, removing flash and formatting, but the message that I am concerned about is 'Fixed-width Viewport'.

I thought that I would be able to resolve this by using the website variants option, however one of the sites listed as being problematic already has a mobile variant (but not a tablet) variant in place.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and been able to successfully resolve it using Xara?

Many thanks!

Default Re: Google webmaster tools -

Hi, i doubt its related to not having a tablet variant as the variant themes found within the Designs Gallery have been tested against https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/ and only have a desktop and mobile variant.

Id recommend submitting a support ticket providing your file and published url

thanks

bb2 - Many thanks for the helpful and swift response!

This is not a big thing 'as such', these messages are going out to all non-responsive site owners (and even some who are responsive). I have some sites done in xara and received this email, other sites we have are done in wordpress or adobe and they are fine. As the stats are showing more and more people (the majority now) using a mobile device for browsing google have taken the position that they will only push mobile friendly sites to people searching on a mobile device; they have been saying that they will not do this prior to these emails going out but that is the way they are heading, responsive sites are top priority in search engines for google then mobile specific sites (like xara mobile variants) and then others. Just another reason for xara to develop a responsive web design solution. Follow the guidelines for creating your mobile variant and you will be fine.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Cloud - many thanks for you response too!

I did some tinkering and managed to make the site pass the Google mobile friendly test - found that it was a drop shadow that extended past the page sides that was part of the problem.

Google has a great tool for testing sites, which can be found here: https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bile-friendly/

I have now started work on converting some of my existing sites and am finding it very time consuming so cant wait for Xara to come up with a responsive site solution - any idea on timescale?