Rik—

Apologies in advance for not creating a Minimalist poster of a film. Professionally, there are a few styles I'm proficient in, and dabble in, but Minimalism isn't one of them, so my personal challenge was to see if I could communicate an idea using as little detail as possible. I'm just getting familiar with the style enough to do something in it, no less be restricted by a theme, okay?

So I throw down my sword this month, yield on a challenge, but wanted to post a couple of ?Minimalist tgings I did recently, based on the current crop of Minimalistic art that is going around art and web circles today. Minimalism started in the 1960s, but all you need to do is a web search on minimalism to see how it's doing 50 years later. Incredible stuff and an awful lot of it digital.

That said:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tangerine.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	106652

I'd love to have been a little more precise manipulating the gradated lines, but as you can see, that aside from subtle blurred shading, the whole composition is just lines, a circle, and two colors. Actually, if this hung around a little bit in the 1960s, it would have graduated to Pop Art.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-until-3.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	106653

This one above I'm quite proud of. I think it's almost a Charades-type illustration. And guess what? If you say, "Okay, fine, it's just a watch, then consider that Movado came out with one of the first watches done in an artistic Minimalist style that ran $2,500 and was one of the most forged watches that hit the US shores for a while. So art can direct other art, right?

It's all one big convergence. Where you wind up depends on where you start, and what your internal road directions are.

My Best,

Gary