Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

First off, let me wish all of you a joyous new year!

I'd like to do another outdoor scene. It is still mostly an idea in my head, but already I have concerns about creating the look I want with Xara.

The illustration is of an outfitter's camp just after dusk. We use large white canvas wall tents in these camps. The drawing of the tent is straight-forward enough, but they are usually a bit wrinkled looking. I can achieve some of this look with shadows, and the night scene will help, but don't know what else to do to get a realistic look. I thought of Gary's flag tutorial, but not sure if that technique will work.

Also, because it is night, there is always a very warm yellow glow emitted from gas lanterns inside the tent. I think I can probably achieve that also, but thought I'd ask you all, your opinions on how you would tackle this.

Thank God I don't have to do this for a living,(artwork) we would have starved to death a long time ago! I do enjoy it as a hobby though.

Best regards,
    Mike

"You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent
    Ted Nugent

First off, let me wish all of you a joyous new year!

I'd like to do another outdoor scene. It is still mostly an idea in my head, but already I have concerns about creating the look I want with Xara.

The illustration is of an outfitter's camp just after dusk. We use large white canvas wall tents in these camps. The drawing of the tent is straight-forward enough, but they are usually a bit wrinkled looking. I can achieve some of this look with shadows, and the night scene will help, but don't know what else to do to get a realistic look. I thought of Gary's flag tutorial, but not sure if that technique will work.

Also, because it is night, there is always a very warm yellow glow emitted from gas lanterns inside the tent. I think I can probably achieve that also, but thought I'd ask you all, your opinions on how you would tackle this.

Thank God I don't have to do this for a living,(artwork) we would have starved to death a long time ago! I do enjoy it as a hobby though.

Best regards,
    Mike

Ted Nugent
    Ted Nugent

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

It seems to me the kind of wrinkles you'll have will be details to be added rather than fundamental to how you set out the drawing. I suggest getting on with the scene and leave those wrinkles as finishing details.

Sounds like a wonderful idea for an image!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Suggestion for adding realism to just about anything, think fractal! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Play with the cloud and plasma fractals and then play with the different transparncies, you can even use colored fractals and then go from there.

Here is a quick example. It was fun to do.

Fractals RULE!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lets_go_camping.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	17348  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Various programs were used, so I didn't post in Xara gallery.
    Mike

Ted Nugent
    Ted Nugent