Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Default Re: October 2014 - Video Tutorial -Typography: Part 2 of Page Layout

@stygg, Rik, and Mike...

Seeing as I just posted the video two days ago...

1.) I'm absolutely thrilled at the YouTube hits and the number of great efforts here so quickly. and

2.) I usually go into a semi-coma after burning myself out to get the video to market, and take a few days off to get other paying gigs done, do laundry, eat, sleep, and practice my theremin, something Barbara has regretted buying me for almost 20 years.

Let me gather my thoughts because I have several things to share to improve everyone's work, I bit off far more than I or you people could chew this month because I didn't even get into traditional font heights, tradition margins and how to manually do this stuff so it looks more personal, but through feedback and probably a written tutorial next month, I can fill in some of the holes in the tute that I felt were there.

Q: Who writes the crappiest outline for tutorials before writing them?

A: Gary David Bouton

I have email from book publishers that can attest to this.

I'll be back with critiqués and sound advice soon.

And Rik? Shortly you're going to become my co-moderator on the Xone. Barb cannot do this in addition to Administrative duties like deleting 40,000 spams from the Pacific Rim... so you volunteered, your wish is her command, and all that tripe.

My Best,

Gary

Loved watching the video and following the tutorial. An excellent video production, once again, very watchable as always.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thank you, Big Frank. Enjoyment and (dubious) production values aside, did you find any nuggets of DTP I came up with that you didn't know about?

So I can say I'm doing my job?

My Best,
    Count Gary von Bouton

Here's my effort to be both individual whilst sticking to the broad concepts of the project. In short, I didn't have time to do more than this!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleopatras_needle_doc.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	104464
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I like it!

Sparing use of text repell, the callout is very well used and placed, nice, focused use of color in the text.

You almost get a 100, Frank. I think the headline text is too bold. Need a Demi or a medium weight, but Frankly, it's usually too expensive to collect a whole family of font weights. They want freaking $475 for the entire 40 member Helvetica family!

Sans serif is much more acceptable at heavier weights than Roman fonts, by the way.

Well, Cleopatra knew some Romans, right?

;0

Gare