Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Taking Vector to the next level

Check out these videos... If only Designer Pro could have some of these features.

The program has been in development for some time now, but worth checking out.

It's called Plasma by Picroma

Showing some features:
    http://youtu.be/bCWX3BNT1H0

How to draw with Plasma:
    http://youtu.be/SyFQojuiOE4

I know this post is in the wrong section but wasn't sure where to put it

Richard

Default Re: Taking Vector to the next level

I moved this thread to the Off Topic Chat since it is not really Xara related.

Yeah that's pretty awesome.

The problem with an existing application, such as Designer and Web Designer is any changes such as these new features, if they work with the existing code--not always easy, have to also be backward compatible with more recent versions.

This appears to be a brand new built from scratch application with some really awesome features.

But as easy as it all looks in the video, I bet it will have a steep learning curve.

Thanks for moving it. Yeah I know... Wishful thinking.

Looks very impressive. Although seeing it's from the dev of cubeworld, I'm guessing that Plasma will stay in development for many years to come

Thanks for the video!

Looks very interesting, maybe this will bring vector drawing long needed attention.
    It seems all the innovations has gone in 3d graphics in the last years.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by MarcT View Post
    Thanks for the video!

Looks very interesting, maybe this will bring vector drawing long needed attention.
    It seems all the innovations has gone in 3d graphics in the last years.

Marc

I don't know how you can say this! Maybe because you have been using Xara for a while you believe there's been no innovations, but really, the melding of vector with raster without really a big difference between the two is quite an amazing feat, not to mention Xara's workflow which is ridiculously full featured but simple...I wouldn't act so unimpressed. Go use illustrator or inkscape for a couple of minutes to realize the rest of the world hasn't really caught up.

As for the demo video, It appears that it could be done in Xara. If I were to guess, it's using a combination of 3d and vector. What you saw was general ancorpoints which used guassian point shading on the 3d objects (imagine looking at it in straight down, no perspective, just 3d shapes, tho) and there's likely some kind of approximation for editing the 3d image to creating correct svg shapes. So it appears it's sort of doing 2 things at once...building an svg image by editing 3d image.

xara already has 3d engine in it. That would all that would need to be changed, and I think that it could be possible to combine that editing with xara's ability to rotae the objects like it does so that it xara could even turn into a rudamentary simple boolean 3d modeller, even...It would have to fit in with the available tools to really be useful, else it would feel just shunted in there.