Hi!

Old time user here, since the beginnings of Artworks on RISC OS

I now have to import and incorporate material from Photoshop in drawings, and I'm hitting a resolution-wall.

Some of the PSD files I'm importing are using vectors. When I import these, Xara flattens them and makes bitmaps of the contents. The problem is that whatever I do, the bitmaps are very low res. I can set the DPI in the import dialogue and it generates more or less pixel sizes, but the actual PS vector objects are always rendered low res (96 DPI?). I.e. it may generate, say, a 500 pixel wide bitmap object, but the vectors rendered into it can end up with, say, a width of 80 pixels, and they are then stretched to full the 500 pixel wide object. It does not look good, in fact it's unusable for what I'm doing. It seems that Xara always uses the DPI that is specified in the PSD file. I've tried every permutation of Xara page configurations that I can think of, but to no avail. The only way I can get reasonable resolution is to get a buddy with PS to save the PSD with a higher DPI specified.

I have searched high and low on the net (including Talk Graphics), and I've read the Xara manual, but I can't find anything to help me with this issue. The strange thing is that Xara CAN flatten the PSD vector objects to any DPI, it just doesn't obey the PSD import DPI dialogue.

Is there anything I can do to take control of the resolution of imported PSD vectors, short of buying Photoshop (which is a go no!)?

I'm using Xara Photo& Graphic Designer 2013, v 8.1.4.30831 (the latest update AFAIK).

TIA,

Are