Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X10 Released

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I think we can all agree that as Xara users we're all totally under-impressed
    Indeed. I guess I wasn't expecting much but I'm a little sad inside.

At the same time, why does webstuff users aren't expressing how this version will change their life?

Marc

First time, since V3.2, I'm not going to upgrade.

Maybe an Xpert can tell me what improvements, in version 10, can help me to draw better or easier?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Rik, It's not about drawing anymore. It's about pasting and arranging a bunch of canned photos and shapes into a pleasing, and perhaps meaningful, collage. This can be very creative. Why, in your next DPX10 scrapbook, I'll bet you can get that photo of your baby to cry, when moused over by Grandma.

This is not new. In 1997, we stayed at a motel in Santa Barbara, where the owner let me drive his Model T, and his wife showed my wife a web page for their dog Shorty, with a picture that would bark when clicked, so that other dogs in the family, in other cities, could respond. I saw the future that day. Xara, it seems, is moving into the '90s now. Getting with the program, after all these years.

Philosophically? I guess it doesn't matter much, as what we call creativity is judged by the final result, what you see on that screen, on on that printed page. And whether you made the art yourself, with all those painfully acquired skills -- or just bolted together a lot of very good clipart -- well, the viewer doesn't know or care how you got there. And your employer only cares about how long it took you to produce, and whether he can fob the result off on that client. And whether he can get Mayank Patel in Ahmedabad to bang out that brochure instead of you... see http://designers.designcrowd.com/graphics/india

It's an interesting new century.
    Author -- 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at Jon404.com

Very disappointing.

It has been 3 months since the release of Web Designer 10 Premium so I was expecting a lot of new, useful Pro-type features. I don't know what happened in those 3 months but it doesn't look like much.

This doesn't feel like a major release to me. I think it should be Xara Designer Pro X9.5, or whatever.

IMHO, Xara seems to have lost their way. They have gone from outstanding to mediocre in terms of product direction and progression.

But it's not too late - yet. They could still turn this around if they really want to, before they lose their loyal customer base.

I hope they do.

I bought the upgrade, but I can't find Photolooks in the Live Effect tool. Does anybody know where I can find it?

Terry - You have to use the Help > Download Content Installer

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Terry - You have to use the Help > Download Content Installer
    Thank you Gary. Downloading now...

Oh well, life moves on, as has been noted it was a good ride and my current Xara software does a pretty good job with my limited skills; but I do try and create everything by my own hands and not the clip and cut and paste method...

Anyway my first medium is paper, pencil and paint and Xara nor anyone else can help me with that - and only old age can take it away...

But it's not too late - yet. They could still turn this around if they really want to, before they lose their loyal customer base.

I hope they do.
    Turn it around, or lose their loyal customer base?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Turn it around, or lose their loyal customer base?
    Ha ha, yes you could read that either way. Or maybe that was intentional....