Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Line Width Slider

Sheff is right definitely be able to barrel roll object along path for making ribbons, spirals and more.

On the subject of line strokes how about if you could draw a line then hold down a shortcut key and drag on the stroke with the mouse to make the line thicker or thinner, this would do away with having to keep an enormousness list of point sizes. What also may be cool is if while your were drawing thin and thick lines that the line would taper or expand between control points determined by your line width.. Also to if you draw a shape with a stroke you could hold down the shortcut key and drag with the mouse to make the stroke thinner or thicker, so I guess anywhere there is a stroke you can use the shortcut.

+1

Thanks

+2 as I keep running into this...

In this example, I'm making a custom logo from a base bitmap drawing and I need various line widths on my circles. Using the mousewheel trick is simply not smooth enough. Most everything in Xara is great in that you have a choice between sizing by exact numbers and sizing visually - except for line widths.

The method I use (which I hate doing only a little less than trying to pick a pt number) is to scale a copy of my line or circle until the line width is what I want - copy the width (say 4.42pt) - select the original object and paste 4.42pt into the line width box.

If we can scale an object (and as part of that its line width) visually, couldn't we somehow scale the line width without scaling the object?

I'd echo ZamJam's suggestion of a shortcut key and then drag the mouse for a thinner or thicker stroke.

PS let's get it done for X11

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_line_widths.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	103299

Hi remalex9, not disagreeing with the point re a line width slider but heres a couple of work-arounds:

The method I use (which I hate doing only a little less than trying to pick a pt number) is to scale a copy of my line or circle until the line width is what I want - copy the width (say 4.42pt) - select the original object and paste 4.42pt into the line width box.
    As an alternative Cut (Ctrl+X) the shape your happy with the line width, then select the original and Ctrl+Shift+A to paste attributes and that line width is applied to your original.

As an alternative way, create your shape with whatever line width. Arrange/convert line to shape. Now use my favourite Xara tool, the Contour Tool, to resize the ex line width to whatever you wish. Acts very like a slider. Of course it's no longer a line but a shape, however for the attachment you've included I think this is a far better method.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host