Hello - I'm new to this forum - I was hoping someone could give me some help with an issue I keep having in Illustrator CS5. I have done many searches for help with this, but I could not find the answer. Sorry if it's been dealt with and I could not find it.

--

I'm able to use Pathfinder>Merge to join objects with the same fill color with no problem - but for some reason I often run into issues when my object was created from Expanded text or from an Effect.

As in this case:

I created this image using text with an Outline and the 3D Effect:
Attachment 100662

I Expanded the image's appearance and then Pathfinder>Merge - I want all the deep purple areas to be joined as one object, but you can see the deep purple outline won't join with the other shapes:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	100663

Here's a closer shot, with the objects unselected so you can see the faint outline where the shapes won't join:

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	100664

Even if I try to get rid of the seam by creating a new object (same fill color) on top, and then Merge that, it just creates another outline. See, here I've created a rectangle on top of the seam and Merged, but the rectangle is still visible:

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	100665

What is the best way for me to flatten this graphic so it doesn't have these seams?

Thanks in advance for any help!