Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Creating a sine wave in Xara Xtreme

Thanks to Wikipedia and Xara's SVG import:
    Surf to http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...one_period.svg and save that file as a SVG. Import it in Xara and convert the red line to shape after setting line width to 24 or so. Once converted one can adjust the fill of the shape and give it a gradient.

Well that's odd. Just can't get good help these days. ;-)

Try this link.

--Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SineWave.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	100667

It sounds like you already figured it out, but I wanted to try for myself. I wanted to draw a better approximation of a sine wave, not just semicircles or half ellipses. It is very simple to put a "belly" curve on a straight line (Xara P&GD9) after you convert it to a shape. The advantage of this method is that it is very easy to make a sine wave and you can toy with the curve shapes to get it to fit any design.
    Last edited by WildRice; 12 February 2014 at 11:00 PM.

@WildRice
    A parabola is not a construction for a perfect sine wave; it's a tad too fat in the middle.
    Converting a line to a shape is not available in Xara Web Designer but it is a good method of creating a solid shape that probably works in Xara Xtreme.

Acorn

Yes, you are right. I am not sure what formula Xara P&GD9 uses to add a belly shape to a line, but it is probably more parabola than true sine.

Guys,

Thank you so much for all the help. I have enough to work with to get what I need done. I seldom have more than an hour or two a week to do any of this, so trying to figure it out from scratch is near impossible... It's great to have a group that can get me 90% there.

Thanks again!

--Ben

Just wanted to share with you the final mockup of the template I put together that the client liked. Thanks again for your help!

http://rfa.thyroid.com/mockup.jpg

--Ben

Nice! Glad you got it worked out.