Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: Microsoft Surface 2 Pro, Windows 8.1, and Xara P&GD9

I've been using xara on a surface pro for a while and I find it really good. The smallness of user interface icons takes a bit of getting used to but pinch to zoom works for scaling the drawing in xara. The portability is what I like with this tablet and all I use xara for is drawing, so it works well. Adobe programs though are difficult to use due to their inability to scale the ui buttons etc so they are tiny.

I use a cheap microsoft bluetooth keyboard when I need key commands as the screen keyboard hogs the screen, but I've recently been loaned a touch keyboard to try. I don't much like using it though as it inhibits turning the tablet around to portrait with this touch keyboard attached, and this computer for me is a drawing pad and the onscreen keyboard is ok for typing. I haven't got a mouse although I plan to get a Bluetooth one, but first I want a wacom carbon pen to replace the stock one although the surface pen is not too bad. I use the pen for drawing and mostly my finger to select tools and menu items. I've always used keyboard shortcuts in xara before, and now I'm more into tapping icons within xara. For this reason I'd like xara to have larger size icons as a user option to really optimise user experience on the surface pro, and tablets are becoming more popular for artists. Being able to work on a drawing pad in any environment with what is for me is the best wacom tablet is such a buzz.

The software I use on it besides Xara is Flash and Photoshop also loaded Dreamweaver but need a mouse for that as adobe icons are tiny. Ive just loaded Blender as the ui is scalable in that so it should work well.

re the above post about loading cd software, everything except blender I loaded from the DVD; Xara and Adobe creative suite plus Dreamweaver. What I did was copy the cds to my computer, combine the adobe suite ones into their single common-name folders and then copy them to USB stick. So long as you are careful with keeping exact folder names and structure they load fine, then go to adobe.com to validate them. I refuse to join adobe's creative cloud subscription so I'm sticking with using my cs6 versions and gradually getting more used to the annoying tiny interface in Flash which is the one I use most, so I persevere. actually in portrait mode its not so bad.

Q
    Last edited by qmr; 12 January 2014 at 11:31 AM.