Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Saving / exporting a site.

When I go to publish a site it prompts for exporting the site to my hard drive. It has chsen the location (my doc's) and named the file "index"
    Can this be changed to a different location (e.g. my desktop/my webs/my clients name?) and then do I need to export the .web file to the same location?

Default Re: Saving / exporting a site.

Pre version 9 you have to export locally before publishing. Go to File>>Export website ... and choose where you want to put it - that is, into a folder you create, in your case my desktop/my webs/my clients name . The first page will be called index as this is what the browsers look for when you have your site online, you can however insert a title in the Web Properties dialogue and then that will appear in tabs instead of the word index. Subsequent pages in that project will be called whatever you call them.

You can save the .web file anywhere you want, I usually save it twice, once to my stash of Xara files and also in that local folder.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Default Re: Saving / exporting a site.

The clever thing about Xara published files is that they can run from anywhere: local folder (an Export), a CD/DVD (same as Export but read-only), localhost (as in the Xara Preview) and published (with an http:// protocol).
    I usually Export to a folder with the name of the site to a sub-folder called Site and place the .WEB / .XAR master file in a sub-folder called Design.

On creation of a new design file, Xara calls it index. This is the Utilities > Web Properties... > Page > Page filename.
    If you rename it to index.html, all exported/published files have an html extension.
    You can also rename it to anything other than index provided it does not have a space or disallowed characters.
    To access your published site, you would have to provide the full URL and not just the site name, unless you tweak your .config file in your site.

Acorn