Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Techniques for Representing Textures on Fabric

Hello all,

Does anyone know a good technique for applying gradual, linear perspective to textures used to fill shapes? An example will make my question much clearer (the attached drawing, both in JPG and .XAR).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fabric.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	99694

The top shape is a carpet (or something) with a bitmap fill applied. I want to draw it curled, as in the bottom shape--the texture doesn't follow the contour of the object (as expected, since this isn't a 3D modelling program).

But is there some way to simulate the gradual rotation and foreshortening of a texture, to make folds and curls in fabric look more realistic?

Thanks!
    - Jesse
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Techniques for Representing Textures on Fabric

Jesse,
    You've probably discovered that bitmap distortion is limited to the perspective envelope tools.
    I suggest you download Microsoft's free discontinued Expression Design 4 here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=36180

It has an envelope distortion capability. Open the bitmap, choose Object(Menu)>Envelope distort>Increase resolution (Control +.[period]). You can pull any point with the Direct Selection tool (A).

Questions? Pls ask!.
    ~Fred

I have a fantasy cartography thread in this forum, in it, I have a post #246 as a quickee tutorial on how I create the effect of bark textures 'somewhat' following the curvature of it's surface. It would be the same for any other texture. However, the only way for it to truly work is using a full 3D application using texture maps applied to complex surfaces to achieve what you're really asking for - and even with such tools, it's no easy process to get it to work, unless you really know what you're doing. I've used various applications in the past, and have used it as a learning experience and come back to 2D and implied 3D illustration. If you're looking for complex patterns in a dress or other garment to follow and disappear around someone wearing such a garment - that's going to take 3D or a photograph.

You could paint a vector illustration in Xara, but that's time consuming as well. There's no easy answer for your predicament.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

This could be done with a plug in. Image Skill displacement plugin works well with Xara and it's free. There was a discussion up in the Xara xone forum about this. I can't find it ATM but I know it's there we did flags, and Gare did a video tutorial I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

One way would be to do it all manually by hand. If the texture is going to be composed of just from the rectangular objects like in the example, it is pretty easy and not too time consuming to do.

Bending pattern of spots/circles or objects like that to make them seem like they follow curve is lot trickier if not impossible though.

Something like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled1.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	99699  

It is just possible to warp a texture with XDPro. Fill your shape with a bitmap texture. Select the shape and trace bitmap using maximum accuracy, minimum smoothing. Apply the mould tool. If desired convert back to bitmap.

Name:	texture mould.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	99702  
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    Something like this.
    Building on the create your own hand-crafted tiles approach...

This assumes your pattern is a mosaic rather than a wallpaper (but that can be handled as well).
    Create your mosaic as a small-sized line of (near-)touching vector shapes or bit-mapped filled shapes.
    Select all your shapes and with the Brush Tool (XDPX9), create a New Brush.

Draw a curved line with your new brush, clone and stack it repeatedly to create your overall shape.

I would then select all the lines and convert them to editable shapes and ungroup so you now have many hundreds of small tiles.
    You can apply fills, distort, rotate, feather and shadow to your heart's content.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosaic.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	99713

Acorn

Thanks for your suggestions, everybody! Depending on the situation and bitmap, each of these is quite useful.

~Jesse

One thing to keep in mind if going pure vector approach is that if there is same pattern repeating multiple times, then only small part needs to be drawn and rest can just be copied from that.

This is how I would do it from beginning to end.

Name:	Untitled5.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	99714