Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrading without CD etc mailed - Download only

I am wanting to ugrade to Designer Pro 9 (from Pro 7) but only want a download version.
    I can't find any way to do this other than have it posted for 6 UK pounds which seems a waste to me.

Is there a link somewhere I have missed please?

Another question. Not sure about Xara but other programs download then after installed inform you there is an upgrade and I need to uninstall and reinstall.
    Is this the case with Xara? It's a bit annoying IMO.

regards
    Richard

Default Re: Upgrading without CD etc mailed - Download only

With Xara you do not have to uninstall an old version of its software when you upgrade. So, in your case you can have both Pro 7 and Pro 9 installed on your computer and even use them at the same time.

As far as I know, everyone gets the physical disc sent to them. It might seem superfluous but it does contain all contents of the design gallery.

Thanks Boy. I was aware of running both programs on same drive.
    I was referring to the actual download link whether that gave me the very latest or some previous version that once installed politely reminded the viewer there was a later version available.
    It does happen and is time consuming.
    I did think I couldn't escape the disc part.

I'm not sure, it seems to me that I always have the option of ordering the physical CD or not which in my case costs me $8,00. I always do at any rate. Look on the order form and see if that option is there or not, it may be a check box that needs to be checked to order it. I do not believe it is mandatory to order the CD.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
    I was referring to the actual download link whether that gave me the very latest or some previous version that once installed politely reminded the viewer there was a later version available.
    It does happen and is time consuming.
    I did think I couldn't escape the disc part.
    Sorry, I had not carefully read your original post. Yes, it is always possible that an update is being made available after you have downloaded and installed the program. As a matter of fact, I recently received an alert that an update was available but the process took only a few minutes and the new version did not mess up my customized setting.

Yeah, I recently upgraded from XX4 to XDP9. I don't use both simultaneously (with such an old version, why do that). I downloaded the trial software, paid for it and was shipped a CD. Already, the software has updated twice since I've had it. If I am online (got cable internet, so almost always online), when I activate the software, the software checks for updates, and as stated, I've gotten 2 updates since I've loaded the software. I am pretty sure I have the most recent updates, because of this.

When I tried to pay and moved to the final page the CD was part of the deal and I couldn't find a way to remove the option.
    It seemed strange as it was listed as a separate amount.
    The tight wad in me thought I'd prefer 2 cappuccinos.

Expext the latter will happen despite the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
    When I tried to pay and moved to the final page the CD was part of the deal and I couldn't find a way to remove the option.
    It seemed strange as it was listed as a separate amount.
    The tight wad in me thought I'd prefer 2 cappuccinos.

Expext the latter will happen despite the outcome.
    Maybe it was on the previous page
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I just tried again but it doesn't give me an option despite repeatedly saying 'if require' with reference to CD.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OrderXara.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	99846
    That seems to crop the image.

I (think) I carefully read all the steps so am confident it slips in the postage at the last page.

Richard

Interesting Richard, I wonder if it's because you are getting a printed manual at least it looks like you are. As I recall when I went pro I got the entire package including the printed manual anf CD in one box. I'll try and contact Xara support in a little while and see what I can find out that way. I had tried a couple of times to go through the order process and see what I could find out that way, but, I chickened out both times fearing I would inadvertently actually order something again that I already have and do not want to pay for again.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509