Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob C.:
    Wolfgang:

Have you checked to see if your current ISP also provides a dial up connection as well as high speed? Just a thought!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wolfgang... please do check on this. Most all broadband services provice dialup access for free as a backup feature when their services go down.

Just put your modem back in and you can easily flip/flop between the two when testing at no charge to you.

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

I hear what you are saying about it being costly, but if you can sign up for a free ISP you're only paying for the call charges (maybe things are different where you are).

Again I'm making an assumption, but for a reasonable sized site 7-10 pages or so you should be able to down load at a slow pace within 5-10 mins.

If you optimise all you can before testing it then it should not cost too much.

If on the other hand your site is unavoidably big (grapics gallary etc) then there is no need to test it because people going there on a 56K will know they are in for a bit of a wait.

Sorry still avoiding what you are looking for but something to bare in mind if no one supplies an answer.

Turan

Ed, Turan and Bob,

actually there are a lot of 'free' providers here. Free of course means only their own cost, I'll still have to pay for the calls.

I usually don't do such small sites Turan. I mostly will have far bigger sites with databases that will give you hundreds of 'pages', depending on your input. Of course, the principal testing is done on my local server and then over the fast line. But it still will take some time testing with the slow connection. It's not about size in bytes, but sheer combinations of input/output.

Even more, with the utility I wish for, I could easily check different speeds like 28.8, 56K, ISDN, Cable ... with a single mouseclick.
    Most of all though, it's very inconvenient to dial up and hard-switch all the time.

So, the only real help for me would be above mentioned utility.

Britta,
    this one here is pretty much the only forum I use. Do you have any specific links for a good webdesign forum ??

Wolfgang