Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Is this a swastika-style logo?

Because the swastika is rightly outlawed in europe a lot of the far right groups use stylised versions such as the far right russian parties which used the attached symbol, though the mufc one is not as blatant it shows how it can be disguised, and that to me makes the symbol used in the emails even more disturbing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rnuflag.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	99227
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk
    IP

Bob - As Paul notes, it has the same qualities as a swastika and probably intentionally.

Sketch - This takes the swastika one step further, if such a thing is possible.

Of course the swastika was used by the Native Americans, usually reversed, and has been used well before Hitler adopted it as the logo for the Nazi party. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

The logo is repellent for what it stood (stands) for, but as far as logos go, it is one of the most recognizable logos in the history of logos. It is simple, powerful and spare.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I'm looking at the logo and the flyer as a whole and there is no doubt in my mind that as a whole the connection is there 100% I can't see how it could have been done accidentally. Even here half a world away school children are taught the history of WWI and WWII. It is a basic part of the history curriculum that all schools in Canada must teach, and I think that it's quite possibly the same in the US. There is no way the designer(s) can plead ignorance.

If the logo was presented to me on it's own I can't say for sure if the swastika connection would have stood out right away but like others have said here it's a bad design, and the colours don't help.

To answer the question about designing logos and being wary of potential offensive designs, I always try to keep things like that in mind. Here in BC we are a melting pot of many different cultures. So there is always an element of making sure a design could not be potentially offensive. For example when discussing a new logo for an art supply/framing store one design idea of a face with paint smears was discarded because of a possible First Nations connection with the painted face.

Perhaps just for an exercise and something lighter would anyone like to participate in a thread to create a good logo for this team?
    Last edited by angelize; 26 October 2013 at 05:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Frances, I don't think Man Utd are lacking in design talent, or the money to pay for it. There will have been some straight talking within the club after this incident.
    IP

I'm thinking that it could be just for fun.

I found a full image of the newsletter cover that would give us the photo of the players and the club's proper logo and newsletter heading. If there is interest I'll dissect the image, remove the offensive stuff, and start a challenge thread.

If the interest isn't there that's OK
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    IP

I don't the team needs a logo designer. The team needs a little sensitivity training.
    IP

Geez. And their constant use of the term "Reds" for players is also reminiscent of cold war struggle between the West and the Russians. And...and...

I think "sensitivity" is a PC sickness. Unless someone points out that this was intentional homage to Nazism, and I doubt that will happen, I could care less. Looking at the logo all I could do is to look how the logo "flowed" to connect the words to the thing. It sucks as a logo. And the colors? Well, that are their colors aren't they?
    IP

Unless someone points out that this was intentional homage to Nazism,...
    How could it not have been intentional? I don't know what the School Curriculum is like in the States, or elsewhere around the world but here in Canada the history of WW2 is a basic part of history lessons. I don't see how anyone could design that cover with that logo and the words New Order and claim they did not know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IP

We were taught the same facts in the US, of course. I don't know about Canada, but in the US there is a principle where people are presumed innocent, not quilty.
    IP

Nobody's on trial.

I'm disappointed that you and others don't see the problem. Fortunately a lot of other people including Man U management, do.
    IP