Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: September 2013 Giveaway - The Dirty Dozen: 12 Grungy Seamless Tiling Textures

I downloaded the textures then went to the fill gallery to point to them. Got a indexing message, said ok, then got a message that there was nothing to index in the files — using Designer Pro X9 — I'm sure I'm doing something wrong ... and ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: September 2013 Giveaway - The Dirty Dozen: 12 Grungy Seamless Tiling Textures

Hi Mickie—

I have an idea that your browser dialog isn't "in" the target folder, that you're one folder up and therefore the program isn't indexing the intended textures folder but instead one level up in your hard drive directory.

Because I've done that several times!

1. Pop the zip archive into a unique folder. In the screen snag I'm going to show in this post, I have a folder called "for Xara Xone" inside a folder on my Desktop named "NuTextures".

2. In Xara Designer 9 (and previous versions), open the Fill Gallery (Shift+F11, I think). Click Disc Fills on the bottom row of wide buttons.

3. Now, find your folder and then double-click it so you're inside the folder, as I'm showing in this screen snag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	in folder.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	100135

4. Click Add, say "yeah, yeah" to the box that tells you a phenomenal amount of hard disk space will be used to create thumbnails (like 200K. Guys? Lose this box!).

5. Now, the entry should appear on the Fill Gallery list. You double-click the folder icon to expand its contents, life is good.

Name:	accessing fills.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	100136

Let me know how (or if) this works for you, okay? Because if not, we have a larger problem.

My Best,

Gary

It does work but it seems as if there are no files in there as per your screenshot Gary [which is wrong and weird ... has always done this] and it then produces a pop-up saying that there is no index and do you want one.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

John, you got the gist of my post in your first sentence..."It does work". I'm answering a member's question, Mickie asked if he was doing anything wrong and I'm troubleshooting here. The useless Index d'box I listed as step 4, above.

I tried this again and deleted the XaraInfo files, and did this in version 6 as well as version 9, and there are no files listed within the target folder in either version, man.

I guess I have a special copy of Xara, huh?

My Best,

Gary

Worked fine for me. I even went off "Automatic Mode" and followed the written steps just to check.

Thanks, Gary!

That's what I meant, I was just emphasizing the point about the "empty" target folder ... confused me years ago
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Yeah. I think the first time I hooked up a disc folder I was left scratching my head as to why Xara wouldn't just list the folder contents without the ability to actually select individual files.

But this issue is the least of what leaves me scratching my head with XDP at times...

@ Mickie—

After a group consensus :) , hopefully you're all set now.

Let me know if there's further problems, because more Bouton textures are in the pipeline, and we don't want to have to call Mr. Roto-Rooter.

My Best,

Gary

OK — I think I figured it out. I tried, through the fills gallery, to download the new fills to Xara. It couldn't find them. So I write to you for advice and you tell me to do exactly what I thought I had done. I went back and tried it again, exactly as I had before (at least I thought so) and it worked fine. Not being exactly new to Xara I have to assume the key to all of this was asking for your advice. So thanks mister Gary "voodoo" man.

Mickie

There's a wide difference between voodoo and an "educated guess", Mickie.

You can't straight download 3rd party textures through the Fill Gallery, nor other 3rd part and local content.

You always need to have the files on your hard drive—because Xara content is on its own internet server—and then use "Disc Fills" to populate a new folder.

I'll show you some actual "voodoo" ("White Magic", actually), when it's needed in the future.

Name:	magician.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	100168

My Best,

Gary