Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nothing but Problems with Xara

I have had nothing but problems with this program.

I cannot upload via Xara FTP as it errors out. I cannot export to create html files as it errors out and therefore I cannot upload from another FTP program.

I have had my website which I save in a docs folder disappear a few times.

I cannot preview more than 1 page as it errors out so I cant even check to see if links are working

I have spent about 6 weeks creating a 26 page website and feel that it was all for nothing.

I have never ever experienced errors like this before. It also has "lack of memory" consistently and I have optimized all images.

The program also freezes on me.

It is not my computer as my computer is working efficiently and has no problems.

Can my problems be solved or should I just forget it and start again with another web designing program?

Default Re: Nothing but Problems with Xara

Aside from getting off your chest, which always feels good - you have told us nothing useful about any of the errors in order for us to even begin to try and help.

I'd suggest you submit a support ticket with http://support.xara.com

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Aside from getting off your chest, which always feels good
    Now ain't that the truth?!

mystic_aussiega, would you be willing to either post your web/xar file here (its size will probably make that impractical) or upload the xar/web file somewhere to a private URL that you communicate to only to the intended recipient?

In that way the TalkGraphics regulars can look at what is causing your problems. There are too many reported errors for this to be the program's fault because, if this were so, other people would be reporting this and Xara would be inundated with support calls.

Quote Originally Posted by mystic_aussiega View Post
    I have spent about 6 weeks creating a 26 page website and feel that it was all for nothing.
    Don't feel like that - I can assure you that rarely, if ever, is a problem reported in this forum and not solved.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

When I try and send the error report, it freezes the program.

eg: I just tried again to preview the website, it froze with an error , it failed to send the error to you, came up with another internal error and when I click on that it says out of memory

I was able to copy the log as follows:

Revision: 28125
    Product: 8 - WebDesignerPremium
    GUID: e7f79271-ab09-407c-8c8d-9a0d2ea46037
    VPL
    Windows ver.: Unknown (0, 0)
    Process mem. usage: 1640906752
    Total Physical Memory: 3666767872
    Avail. Physical Memory: 671232000

Exception code: c0000005
    EAX: 00000000
    EBX: 00000000
    ECX: 00000000
    EDX: 0001f278
    ESI: 00000000
    EDI: 00000000
    EBP: 00296010
    ESP: 00295d38

Processor: Unknown MMX SSE SSE2 (6.2a.7)

================================================== =======================

Yup, your system appears to be low on available memory.
    671232000 = 640 Mb

If you have many photos in your 26 pages, optimised or not, these can easily amount to more than 640Mb while open in your document.
    Can you try restarting your computer and temporarily closing all unnecessary programs running in the system tray, and include such bloat boats as any version of Nortons AV if you have it, and see if that helps?.

I'd also suggest you download and install MalwareBytes, update it then reboot into safe mode and run a full scan. You never know what little nasties have crept it.

Thankyou Frank,

I am trying to work out how to do what you suggest. I am looking for a cloud site to upload the file. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Now ain't that the truth?!

mystic_aussiega, would you be willing to either post your web/xar file here (its size will probably make that impractical) or upload the xar/web file somewhere to a private URL that you communicate to only to the intended recipient?

In that way the TalkGraphics regulars can look at what is causing your problems. There are too many reported errors for this to be the program's fault because, if this were so, other people would be reporting this and Xara would be inundated with support calls.

Don't feel like that - I can assure you that rarely, if ever, is a problem reported in this forum and not solved.

I do have lots of photos as the website is a tourism one.

I have many, many times rebooted my computer with no luck.

I never had this problem when using MS Front Page, it was never out of memory and that was on a much older computer than the one I have today.

I am trying to find a site to upload the file as Frank suggested.

Thankyou for your response :-)

So does this mean that because I have a website with lots of photos that the program will not be suitable for me to use?

The difference between Front Page and Web Designer is that unlike HTML editors Web Designer saves your entire 26 page site in one single project file (name.web).
    Rather like a multipage Word document or PDF file is a single file with everything embedded.
    Web Designer is not a HTML editor, so you can't compare it with FP or Dreamweaver et al where each page is saved as a single .htm (all text) and the assets are linked.
    Web Designer creates the html pages from your design and exports the assets to the index_htm_files folder only when you publish.. Until then, it's just a Xara .web file with everything contained. So, your system needs sufficient memory while all this processing is happening.

It's not that it isn't suitable, it's that you have to approach your designing differently.
    It's a learning curve that needs approaching in a different way than you would with a HTML editor.

You might like to prepare your photos before bringing them into Web Designer, this will reduce the memory overhead if they are already the correct resolution for the web.

the photos range from around 60kb to a meg (all different sizes) so I need to shrink them? Can you recommend a program to do that for me and thankyou for your help by the way , I have been pulling my hair out over this and so want it fixed asap :-)

I just rebooted my computer and I have available ram: 3.41gb out of 8gb

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The difference between Front Page and Web Designer is that unlike HTML editors Web Designer saves your entire 26 page site in one single project file (name.web).
    Rather like a multipage Word document or PDF file is a single file with everything embedded.
    Web Designer is not a HTML editor, so you can't compare it with FP or Dreamweaver et al where each page is saved as a single .htm (all text) and the assets are linked.
    Web Designer creates the html pages from your design and exports the assets to the index_htm_files folder only when you publish.. Until then, it's just a Xara .web file with everything contained. So, your system needs sufficient memory while all this processing is happening.

It's not that it isn't suitable, it's that you have to approach your designing differently.
    It's a learning curve that needs approaching in a different way than you would with a HTML editor.

You might like to prepare your photos before bringing them into Web Designer, this will reduce the memory overhead if they are already the correct resolution for the web.
    Last edited by mystic_aussiega; 28 August 2013 at 01:31 PM.