Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kerning/Tracking Issue with WD 9 Premium

Using the kerning/tracking feature, I get my content layout looking just the way I want it. But when I publish the site up to the web server the spacing adjustments do not appear on the web page. Strangely they don't appear in the preview either. Does anyone know why? (Note: yes, I reloaded the page to refresh the browser cache, and I've tried different browsers.)

Default Re: Kerning/Tracking Issue with WD 9 Premium

Unless I am missing something, kerning isn't supported in html text and would only be usable for say a graphic/image that one would use in a banner or other heading that is using an image for it.

You can Group your text block and it will be converted to an image that will retain the kern positions.

If you are adventerous, you can used a jQuery plugin, http://letteringjs.com/, that allows you to define kern pairs and their spacing.

Possibly simpler, use the kern.js bookmarklet, http://www.kernjs.com/, to interact with your page text and copy off the resulting CSS file and include that in your site design.

Acorn

P.S. To head off the usual thrid party script cries of foul: "Oh great. Just what the world needs- another freaking jQuery plugin." -Paul Irish

Well, there ya go.

I am not adverse to jQuery of javascript (saves time due to reusibility). I would want to experiment with using it for kerning on fixed-positioning sites first. (But then, I don't really mess with fixed-positioning in regards to web. Works great for a PDF though

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Unless I am missing something, kerning isn't supported in html text and would only be usable for say a graphic/image that one would use in a banner or other heading that is using an image for it.
    That's what I was afraid of: I didn't think HTML supported it. Taking your graphic/image idea to the next level, I suppose I could convert my text to a graphic to retain the formatting I want. But I would lose the benefit of having the search engine spiders reading my text to rank my site.

Allow me to explain. I have a page that incorporates three different graphics. I want the text in the associated text box to contour itself with one side of the shape of the graphic image beside it (but not inside the text box). Hence my use of the kerning/tracking feature. I know that Web Designer will flow the text around a graphic if I place it inside the text box, but the transparent background of the graphic(s) is not the same shape as the graphic itself (i.e., it may be a box, for example). Any suggestions on how I might accomplish my goal of obtaining a flowing, symmetrical look considering the things discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You can Group your text block and it will be converted to an image that will retain the kern positions.

If you are adventerous, you can used a jQuery plugin, http://letteringjs.com/, that allows you to define kern pairs and their spacing.

Possibly simpler, use the kern.js bookmarklet, http://www.kernjs.com/, to interact with your page text and copy off the resulting CSS file and include that in your site design.

Acorn

P.S. To head off the usual thrid party script cries of foul: "Oh great. Just what the world needs- another freaking jQuery plugin." -Paul Irish
    Thank you for your reply, but jQuery is in uncharted waters for me at this point in time. Though I would like to delve into it in the future.

Suggestion. Look around the web and see if you can find any of them using kerning.

I would need to see a screen shot or two to really understand what you want to accomplish.

You could cut the graphic from the rectangular background - using the shape tool - and this should allow text to flow as you want
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    You could cut the graphic from the rectangular background - using the shape tool - and this should allow text to flow as you want
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    But I would lose the benefit of having the search engine spiders reading my text to rank my site.
    The text as a graphic has the text placed in the IMG tag as ALT text so the spider still finds your words.

You could use the Shape tool to get the flow line you want, add the Text to the line and kern away.
    You then make the line colour transparent or set its Width to None.
    The resulting text is an image and the original text is in the ALT attribute of the IMG tag.

Acorn