Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Background eraser demo video

Thanks everyone for the feedback

I completely forgot about being able to scroll through the sizes with the mouse wheel, and I didn't realize the alt key would allow you to do it with out needing to put the cursor over the slider. Cool!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks VERY much, Frances! I found it immensely helpful, unlike some demos that make it seem as if removing the background can usually be done in a matter of seconds. I also greatly appreciate the tip about pressure sensitivity in the Shape Builder Tool affecting other tools as well.

Thanks for the tutorial, this tool is really inspirating, works fast and in good quality.

That is why trying to give harder cases to see the borders of the possibilities, for example when the object contains a lot of white, also at the borders. At this case so really seems key to protect as lot of area as possible, also to delete. Frances I have seen you rather used strokes at the background and not deleting all, gives that some difference?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	be1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	97347

Anyway focusing close to the edges and seeing those remaining parts, I assume the best is clearing there with Eraser tool? However in my example the object is damaged slightly but yes because I did not protect those areas..

Name:	be2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	97348

ps: thanks very good also the tip pressing SHIFT when somebody runs over to the other side and correct it

Just one more thing, I think when the background is white, and the protected object also at areas, so white meets with white, probably those never can be left to the automatic erase logic of the program because it will delete into it.

But in that way the question, how to pull those mask control points to the border at these special areas? I tried that maybe going to Shape tool by that can grab them and pull to the border, but that does not work

Name:	be3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	97349

Thank you Cyberqueen and Csehz.

To edit the mask with the shape tool: After painting with the mask painter select the selector tool then open the page and layer gallery and unlock the mask layer. After unlocking the mask layer double click the mask to edit it with the shape tool.

There will still be times when it will be just as easy to use the shape tool and intersect method especially if you have a lot of low contrast areas like the white on white.

And yes if your photo has a good contrast between the foreground object and the background you can get away with quickly stroking the areas that you wish to remove. Basically the less contrast the more accurate you need to be both with masking and erasing. And sometimes if a little cleanup is needed the eraser tool is great for this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

i used the shape tool and it took me exactly half the time it took you
    i wasnt racing just to test you, just did it in my normal time
    i video'd it and i included the time to correct mistakes and tweak the outline before subtracting shapes
    i also excluded the time you spoke about the pressure thing at the begginning

i think if you have a very complex photo that you want to remove bg like trees and leaves etc
    thatr might be where this tool comes into its own
    i dont know i havent tried
    be interesting to see

edit : ps another gentle easy to watch and listen video
    they should employ you
    Last edited by Big Frank; 20 July 2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: to be nice, not like me at all, need... more... pills....
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Yes the Shape tool can be alternative,

but in XDPX9 also the Region Painter Tool seems fast, going through inside of the object and after keeping the SHIFT going outside and correct if needed. I would feel this more comfortable than playing with the Shape tool handlers

""
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post

edit : ps another gentle easy to watch and listen video
    they should employ you
    I wish !

I agree there will be times when the shape tool will be the way to go and times when the background erase will be the tool to use. The photo I used in the video was one that I used for an ad layout and I did use the shape tool at that time. DP9 wasn't out yet and the plate of quiche is an easy one for tracing. However it did also make a good photo for this video as there were many similar colours in the areas I wanted to keep and the background.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    the Region Painter Tool seems fast, going through inside of the object and after keeping the SHIFT going outside and correct if needed. I would feel this more comfortable than playing with the Shape tool handlers
    that's how i used to do it in photoshop actually
    i never used their primitive pen tool
    odd that now i'm using the shape tool in pref to a mask painter tool lol
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.