Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: xpdx9 splash screen DRAWING pencil logo missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Unless I've misread something, I don't think the OP is asking about the splashscreen itself, rather that the drawing pencil has been left off.
    Therefore asking what this says about the future of XDP as a drawing app.

Well, that's how I read it!
    I understand what William was asking. And this subject was hashed about in the thread somewhat.

Only xara knows what the future of the thing is, what it will be. One can conjecture all day long. In the end, if the lack of a pencil icon is troublesome, make a new splash with it. I don't see xara removing its present drawing capabilities no matter the future direction. So it really is just a missing icon. Put one in a new splash.

What concerns me is pseudo layout crap with more core additions, no true opentype support, ad infinitum.

But then, I have those things in more than a handful of applications...just not updated filters in which to exchange in and out of xara.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    How do you know it was taken out? Did you see a Beta splash screen for DPX9 which had a DRAWING icon or something?
    I am referring to previous versions of XDP. They had the drawing pencil icon.
    Have fun creating!
    William

Version 6 had no pencil icon either.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Version 6 had no pencil icon either.
    I think version 6 didn't have any icons at all. Correct?
    Have fun creating!
    William

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    William - I think you are being too literal. I do not think the absence of the pencil means any more than the designer wanted to represent the three other products in the suite and then the 4th icon represents all of these separate products in one product. Honest.
    That could be the case.
    Have fun creating!
    William

Thanks for the comments folks!

I am looking forward to many new adventures and fun with XDP.
    Have fun creating!
    William

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    There is a long thread about the splash screen already. In short, make your own.
    its not worth the angst mike
    be chill
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    its not worth the angst mike
    be chill
    I have no angst about the "missing" pencil. Like I mentioned above, it is much to do about nothing (OK, I paraphrased myself). They ain't gonna rip out what is there as regards vector stuff (well, probably anything).

Any angst is regarding other issues. For example, spending programming resources incorporating so-called page and layout features that will not amount to anything in the long run. It will take an incredible amount of resources to make it half as competent as LibreOffice's Writer module, for instance. I suspect it would take 2-3 programmers 4-6 years and still not have as competent layout features (not to mention RTL supprt), OpenType awareness, the headers/footers, and on and on, that a free application such as OpenOffice has. So what is the point? Those hours could be better spent in my opinion. But as I mentioned, Xara didn't ask for my opinion before now and never will.

But no angst regarding the splash screen. Once I found out on the forum one could personalize the splash screen, I have done so. Sometimes 3 or 4 of them through the year. It is a pleasant diversion. Heck, because I liked the early Birth of Venus from Illy, perhaps I'll do one of them...

Take care, Mike

hmm, naked women on a xara splash screen
    now there's a refreshing idea
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I have no angst about the "missing" pencil. Like I mentioned above, it is much to do about nothing (OK, I paraphrased myself). They ain't gonna rip out what is there as regards vector stuff (well, probably anything).

But no angst regarding the splash screen. Once I found out on the forum one could personalize the splash screen, I have done so. Sometimes 3 or 4 of them through the year. It is a pleasant diversion. Heck, because I liked the early Birth of Venus from Illy, perhaps I'll do one of them...

Take care, Mike
    Just to be clear. I have nothing against the splash screen look or the graphics. My post has nothing to do with that.
    I wasn't looking the change it on my computer.

My post had more to do with the meaning of why the drawing pencil was omitted, if there was a reason behind it.

The consensus here seems to be that XDP will continue to be a strong drawing and illustration app and will be getting improvements in this area in the future and I am OK with that. So again, I wasn't concerned about the look of the splash screen, but only about the future of the drawing tools in XDP.

Cheers!
    Have fun creating!
    William