Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Concentric circles equally spaced?

Just draw 2 circles. The smallest in the center and the larger outside in the position you want. Then use the blend tool select one of the circles and point to the other. Specify the number of intermediary steps (circles) you want (in the context toolbar on top) and that's it.
    I kept pointing to the other circle and nothing happened haha. So I looked up in the help and saw the word 'drag' or similar holding down the left mouse from one circle to the other. That auto made 5 steps, which could be increased, then I could play with the other effects.

Use the Contour Tool for drawing this very easily. See attachment for instructions.
    This works, for me, in quite a different way, as I created 2 circles, applying the contour, the menu did not auto appear at the top. When I finally did get an affect, the 2 circles result seemed to act, how can I say this so it makes sense in text, together but independently. The inner circle kept the sense of multiple concentric circles as size was increase/decreased above 50%, while the outer circle remained solid upto 90% [% relates to the slider] (as though I was increasing the outline size - if that makes sense). I know I've done something wrong so I'll try and go back and start again.

Attached original 2 circles at 50/75/90%

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50%.png 
Views:	381 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	105189 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75%.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	105190 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90%.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	105191

With contour, I am finding that you must begin with a small initial circle (or you get left with a large blank/open space in the middle, that you only need one circle (more and the above posts effects occur), and expanding the contoured tool circle is restricted, at least more so that in blend mode (blend . Also finding some other strange effect results, which might be useful, but in coming up with 50 equally concentric circles as per the OP's post, blending seems to produce the best result IMHO.

If I'm doing something wrong, please correct me - thanks.

In this particular case, although it can be done with either Blend or Contour tools I'd recommend the blend tool as it's far more configurable.

(Watch in HD)

Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@ Egg

The video comes up with "Sorry, this is private"

Sorry puw, for some reason my YouTube channel is defaulting to Private instead of Public. I keep forgetting to alter this. I've made it Public now so you should be able to view it.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi egg, yes I can watch it now thank you very much (also just had to update my flashplayer).

WOW. That is a great tutorial video on this topic (for all shapes), because the moving it around, quickly allows you to do perspective with it. I did not know that move - thank you.

A quick question - did you remove the first small circle, or did you just select it via ctrl left mouse, in order to open the ability to move it around? I only ask as your mouse movement in the video (not your fault) made me think you were selecting it to remove it. Seems a silly question as I read this back, but just wanted to be sure

I'm just wondering, this idea popped into my head, that if you did the concentrics, moved them for perspective, then created all semi-circles, would this be possible do you think? I'm thinking this would really help and save time in constructing an arched enclosed walkway or internal view of a cathedrals roof (for example), as the framework to build on. Your moving it around is giving me quite a few ideas (James Bond film intro).

Selected the small circle by Ctrl+Left Mouse Button then moved it about. I tend to use Ctrl+Alt for this as once selected and as long as you keep the left mouse button depressed, you can move it about at will ~ great if you've many small close spaced objects.

Something like this?

We had a good discussion re James Bond film intro HERE a couple of months ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corridor.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	105215  
    Egg