Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default XARA preventing users to save .xar files into designs gallery?

Hi,

Apparently, one can only import static graphics into the designs gallery, and not custom widgets with the .xar extension.

Why this limitation ?

Also, apparently, there is no way for the user to build its own widgets, with for example, the ability to edit the widgets properties into a new tab, like pre-built xara widgets, is it right ?

Or am I missing some undocumented options or extensions reserved for custom users widgets ?

Thanks for the informations on this topic.

Erratum: It is possible. (about importing .xar and .web files).

The Folder dialog for importing designs was just a bit unclear.
    Last edited by ab29; 16 May 2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: erratum

Default Re: XARA preventing users to save .xar files into designs gallery?

It is difficult to search the forum:
    Please do something for the captcha, as actually here is the question:

"Please type in the next to last word in this sentence?"

This is not understandable and therefore one can not use the search function of the forum.

I was trying to search about widget creation.

the captcha question is as easy as they get. The question is easy and straightforward. the next to the last word is "this".

as far as I remember, if you are logged in, there is no captcha to solve.

the search function leaves a lot to be desired. use Google's site search.

mike

Thank you mwenz. If I was more intelligent, I could have found the captcha solution alone, but well... I'm not.

That said, it doesn't tell us how one creates one's own widget in Xara Web Designer 9 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by ab29 View Post
    ...it doesn't tell us how one creates one's own widget in Xara Web Designer 9 Premium.
    The included widgets (eyecatcher/slideshows etc) are mostly 3rd party creations, not made with Xara software.
    The method to use then include a third party widget into an editable xara document as supplied by Xara is theoretically possible but quite advanced (and undocumented) Creating your own (similar) widget/s is not an advertised feature of the application.

Thank you Sledger for those informations.

There are widgets that, when dropped onto the canvas, open a preview browser for customizing them, like some of the forms widgets, and others, like the "NEW Table widget" which only creates a placeholder into the document.

But, when one clicks on the "edit widget" link, it opens a new document tab for settings, and not the traditional element dialog.

That said I don't see any names that would make this placeholder different from others. Excepted that those placeholders have an "Open widget" into the contextual menu, whereas traditional placeholders only have "Edit widget" option.

So how could one make a placeholder behave like the "NEW Table Widget" placeholder ?

Would there be any undocumented steps explained into the forum, for advanced users who would like to create such custom components/widgets for themselves ?

Thanks.