Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey Hey,

Me again. I'm trying to save or export my works from Xara X as a .psd (for use in photoshop), is it possible to do so?? I've tried and if it's indeed possible, then I'm really doing something wrong.

Thanks.

RJ

Hey Hey,

Me again. I'm trying to save or export my works from Xara X as a .psd (for use in photoshop), is it possible to do so?? I've tried and if it's indeed possible, then I'm really doing something wrong.

Thanks.

RJ

Export as CMX works best for me. You migh also try to export as xara eps.

You're not doing anything wrong, except trying the quite impossible: XaraX can't export even flat PSD files, alas, never mind layered ones - which would have been VERY useful! Of course nearly every app now can read/write PSD files, but Xara won't acknowledge the universality of this format, apparently.

Forget EPS and everything else, use PNG. These are are lossless 24 bit files with full 8 bit transparency and can be used to build layered PSD files in Photoshop. You have to do it one PNG per layer at a time, but it works flawlessly.

And Dmagician: I'm rather surprised you find CMX to "work for you" - since Photoshop does not support this format!

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I usually bring files in to Photoshop as TIFF files unless I need the Alpha Channel in which case I export the files as True Color + Alpha PNG files.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Excellent question RJ. That answers a question I hadn't got to yet. This is why I keep visitng the group

The PNG way really works slick.

james
    http://members.shaw.ca/nenedevelopments

but there is no such thing in this group right?

Following on the whole, going with png to photoshop thing (or pretty much any bitmap) when I export to a file the resolution is 96dpi for the size I have created the image. If I try and save it at a higher res then the image dimensions change. What if I want to send this to photoshop do some work and then print it? 96dpi is too low to print but if the resolution is raised then the image is the wrong size.

Maybe I am missing something simple.
    Any clarification would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.
    James

James

There should be no problem. If the drawing is an inch square and you export it from Xara at 300 dpi, the bitmap will be 300 x 300 pixels and the file will contain the "300 dpi" info so that it can be printed the correct size. On my (old) version of PhotoShop, PNGs don't automatically set the print resolution (Image > Image Size > Print Size > Resolution) but TIFs and bitmaps transferred on the clipboard do. If you save the file (making sure it's at the same dpi as you started with) and import it into X, it should automatically be displayed and printed at the correct size.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Thanks Sean for explaining that.

I understand what you are saying perfectly. Makes it all crystal clear. Now I guess I should go do something with this new found knowledge.

jamesthiago