Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: WD9 and DPROX

Default WD9 and DPROX

So I guess when the upgrade of Designer Pro X comes out it will have all the features of the newly released Web Designer 9?

Is that the usual pattern? And if yes.... then the upgrade plan should be to wait for the DPX upgrade? Correct?

Thanks

Cliff
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Default Re: WD9 and DPROX

Yes to both your questions. If you already own Designer Pro X, the "correct" upgrade path would be to get the next PRO version, otherwise you will lose functionality since Xara Web Designer 9 Premium doesn't have all the features of the PRO version. Guessing from previous years it shouldn't take much time until the new PRO version is released. Probably in May or June.

Thanks.....
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Quote Originally Posted by MEB View Post
    Yes to both your questions. If you already own Designer Pro X, the "correct" upgrade path would be to get the next PRO version, otherwise you will lose functionality since Xara Web Designer 9 Premium doesn't have all the features of the PRO version. Guessing from previous years it shouldn't take much time until the new PRO version is released. Probably in May or June.
    My timing seems to be consistent! I went through this with v8 as well. My work on websites tends to be sparse as it's really only a sideline for me -- but Xara tools have been my preference for several years. My last sizeable project came up when the new version of Web Designer was released -- but Designer Pro hadn't yet seen the upgrade. I had to decide whether I wanted the new features badly enough to "blow" the money on a redundant upgrade, i.e., cross grade to Web Designer 8, and later upgrade to Designer Pro 8. Just glancing at the feature set for v9, I'm finding myself with the same dilemma. A new project just came up out of the blue and I need to start some initial prototyping almost immediately - this will likely move quickly, so I really can't afford to wait to see when DPPro9 will drop. A pity - the new features look good, and would be relevant in this project. What to do?!? (that's rhetorical - not expecting anyone else to figure out my conundrums!)

Why not use the 30 day (AKA 1 Month) trial of WD9 for now? There's always chance that DP9 will be released before your trial is up?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Why not use the 30 day (AKA 1 Month) trial of WD9 for now? There's always chance that DP9 will be released before your trial is up?
    Interesting idea - thanks! I just might do that. Only potential drawback, I guess, would be if I used a feature unique to v9 that wasn't backward compatible if I had to load the site into DP8. I also must admit that as a casual user and not a graphic artist by any means, I probably blur the lines in my workflow between web layout and the image creation and manipulation that's built into the rest of Designer Pro. But with a bit of self discipline, I should be able to manage!

thanks again for the suggestion. Very tempting indeed - must just give it a try!