Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Tractor Tom

My elder son Thomas, aged 4 asked me if I could draw his favourite TV character, "Tractor Tom". I took this as a personal challenge and, with Thomas by my side produced the image below, using only XaraX, with a video box inlay card for reference. The show itself is entirely 3D computer-animated, but I feel I've captured the style quite well. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tractor_tom.gif 
Views:	8443 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	11406  
    "Communication is everything"

My elder son Thomas, aged 4 asked me if I could draw his favourite TV character, "Tractor Tom". I took this as a personal challenge and, with Thomas by my side produced the image below, using only XaraX, with a video box inlay card for reference. The show itself is entirely 3D computer-animated, but I feel I've captured the style quite well. What do you think?

Overall very nice ;-)

One comment-
    On my screen the tyres are almost pure "black blobs", i.e. the tread area is not differentiated from the sidewalls by a slight colour difference. Not sure if it was drawn that way, or whether it's colour/gamma differences beween my screen and yours blocking-out the blacks.

Regards: Vole

Regards: Colin

No - pure laziness on my part. The tyres are simple blends between two black ellipses. I was working very quickly to keep Thomas's attention and ensure he could understand what I was doing. But well spotted! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Very cool Simon.

Tractor Tom is not on my list of acceptable programs (my wife has set the controls on the TV so I cannot access it--just kidding).

I would imagine that the tires however are more balloon-like. I can even imagine the window pane highlight on the top of the tire.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<A HREF="http://www.xaraxone.com" TARGET=_blank>
    The Xara Xone </A>

[This message was edited by gwpriester on July 15, 2003 at 15:05.]

Oh boy. It's a nifty drawing anyway. If you actually did it on the fly with a 4 year-old watching, fast enough to keep him interested then you have my unqualified admiration ;-)

Looking at the video box insert, his front wheels appear to be fitted with near-slicks (unlike many modern tractors he is evidently rear-wheel-drive only!) with three straight grooves, while the back tyres are typically deep-treaded with a simple chevron pattern. Now, THERE'S a XaraX challenge for someone...

There you are. Satisfied now? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyre.gif 
Views:	366 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	14576  

Cool ;-)