Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Tutorial on using guides and snapping

Magic snapping. I already like the sound of that, lol. So nice to see you again Angelize and thank you for the links. I intend to follow them all and see if I can't educate myself.

I'm taking a month off to learn some new software and to relearn some of my favorites, Xara included. At my age it's hard to retain all that I learn so I have to keep at it.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Hi Nancy. Glad to see you are still around.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hello again Nancy.
    I use Xara5Pro and work on 800x600 pixel workspaces and 2550x3300 pixel workspaces (US letter size), depending on what I'm doing.
    On my system US Letter defaults to 816 x 1056. This is at the default Windows 96 ppi.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Nancy

Hi Egg - would imagine Nancy is working at 2550x3300 at 96dpi within xara which can then be reduced down to 816x1056 at 300dpi for print [or whatever] - the ratio is right anyhow...

Spot on Steve. I'm getting to old for all this tech stuff
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi everybody, hi Larry!! Thanks for all the responses.

I'm blushing because I forgot that XX uses 96dpi. When I setup the default workspace in XX I made it using 300dpi x 8.5 in and 11 in as my guide. I no longer need anything that size but I do open that workspace if I have something very large that needs editing. XX could become very slow when using that size document.

I am just now starting the tutorials listed here. Wanted to check out Angelize's links and then decide which of the links listed I should do first. It's getting the guide parameters setup properly to what I need that has always eluded me. Wish me luck!

Watched Gary's video on creating seamless tiles but it raised a couple of questions. He does not mention snapping to a grid so that his tile will be whole pixels. It's all and good to make the nudge the same size as your rectangle/square, I get that, but how does he know that he won't have any semi-transparent (or whitish if bitmapped) pixels since he places the original square anywhere on the workspace.

The other issue is that he makes a bitmap copy. Whenever I have tried to use the bitmap copy function I get a pixelated bmp. I didn't used to get pixelated bitmap copies but one day they just started coming up all pixelated. I asked here about it and no one had an answer so I always export as PNG now. That was XX5Pro. I'll have to try it in P&GD7 and see if it's better.

Now to follow through Gary Priester's Xzone tut. Looks like that covers more of the snapping.

If you get a pixelated image when creating a bitmap copy, try upping the dpi. It's always better to start with a high dpi image and export it to something lower afterward.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com