Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Magix crapware install foiled!

Looking at the Magix website, I found a page about free Magix Photo Designer 7. Thought I'd try it; downloaded it. The download said it was from CNET, not Magix. Strange. It downloaded an installer, which, when clicked, then brought in the program... very slowly.

But that wasn't all. It secretly loaded four other programs... some fake free games, and a Babylon toolbar that tried to hijack my browser. Aarghh! Took me 15 minutes so clear out all the crap... a couple of the new programs didn't want to go right away.

This sort of thing is unacceptable. I know Magix is German, out of Berlin -- maybe the EU allows crapware, or at least people there tolerate it more than we do in the US. But here, it is only done by bottom-feeding pseudo-software companies masquerading as real ones. The US crapware, like Magix's, always tries to peddle something, to pester you to buy something you never asked for and don't want.

This isn't something where you'd give the crapware vendor another try... their stupid schemes are not accidental, and God knows what they'd infect your PC with, given a second chance.

I've bought Xara products for many years. But tonight, Magix lost me as a customer. Over and out.

Default Re: Magix crapware install foiled!

Did you click the big green button to download?
    That's the one to avoid because it's the CNET Installer that has the bundled cr*pware.

Better to choose the 'Direct Download' link just under it.
    This downloads the MAGIX Photo Designer setup only.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 18 December 2012 at 11:49 AM.

Agree with Steve.

When you download something from C-Net they take you to another page with several confusing download buttons. You have to be careful which button you click.

I have to say I'm quite surprised (Shows you how long it's been since I grabbed something from there) and disappointed with CNet. Download.com used to be a safe place to download stuff from. But yeah, the big green button has a little popup text:

"The CNET Download.com Installer is a tiny ad-supported stub installer or "download manager" that helps securely deliver your downloads from Download.com's servers. We also include offers for carefully screened software that complies with Download.com Software Policies as part of our Installer process."

So that's not Magix's (or Xara's) fault.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

"I know Magix is German, out of Berlin -- maybe the EU allows crapware, or at least people there tolerate it more than we do in the US."

CNET is an American company owned by CBS
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I avoid getting anything at Cnet if I can possibly avoid it. FileHippo.com works well for lots of stuff and they don't try to load you up with junk.

A lot of common utilities that need to be installed when you get a new computer are painlessly installed if you use ninite.com - they figure out what version (32 or 64bit) and strip out any junk for you when it does the batch install of the software you've chosen.

Unfortunately I don't think you can get Magix stuff through ninite or file hippo, so you just have to be really careful.

Adobe has gotten obnoxious with Acrobat Reader installs - they want to saddle you with a worthless McAfee product. but if you go through http://ninite.com/you don't get McAfee by mistake.

I really wish ninite had a larger selection of stuff they can autoinstall or update to choose from.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

So why does Magix use CNET? Birds of a feather?

What really got me angry was the browser hijack. Unacceptable.

I understand now that the other junk comes from CNET -- but I started the download from the Magix website -- so to me, they are responsible for any problems that result from the scum they are in bed with. Had my own company for 12 years, and, if I had referred a customer to a vendor acting for me, I would have also been liable for any damage that the vendor's actions caused.

Anyway, that's all I want to say about this. Thanks to all for your warnings about CNET, Adobe, and other problem companies, like Magix.

I had a look at this...

If I downloaded from the Magix GB page here:

http://www.magix.com/gb/free-download/photo-designer/

I did not get directed to CNET

But if I downloaded from the Magix US page here:

http://www.magix.com/us/free-download/free-software/

I did

This indicates that Magix are using CNET as their North American download site, but in the EU we get a direct link

Further evidence of this - the GB page link went through a CAPTCHA and the US page link did not

If anything the EU is far more down on malware that the US, and stricter regarding privacy too - however, Magix's descision to use CNET in the US is one only they can explain

switching to sandbox mode and installing the two versions [using custom install in both cases so as to get any install options provided] :

the US download:
    asked if I wanted to install WAJAM
    installed SNAPDO on both IE and FFox without asking
    tried to reset my IE startpage and install SMARTBAR on IE, both of which which my AV disallowed;
    also reconfigured my FFox UI settings whilst installing SNAPDO

the GB download:
    asked if I wanted to install SIMPLECHECK and ASK TOOLBAR
    no installations without asking were detected

the GB downloaded file was 23,569 KB and called 'free_photodesigner 7_en.exe'

the US downloaded file was 28.868 KB and called 'photo_designer_7_28mb_us

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I recently downloaded a product from Magix and experienced something similar, but I was unable to download from the UK page it gave me an error, I had to download from the US page and while I was able to avoid CNET I still wound up with some sort of crapware that I had to uninstall.

This is just another reason why, when answering questions about any of Xara's products I always recommend new users purchase direct from Xara.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.