Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default December 2012 Video Tutorial -Deck The Halls! Making a Garland Brush

Deck The Halls! Making a Garland Brush

It’s that time of the year again, when we wrap gifts, stoke the fireplace, and decorate the halls. And envelopes, and websites, and this month, Gary shows you how to build an elegant garland brush in Xara. With the media in this month’s zip archive and the steps you’ll see, you’ll have everything you need to make your season a bright, colorful, and inspired one! Ho, ho, ho and get ready to go!

So view the video and grab the tutorial files and get festooning! Show us your garlands in this thread. Feel free to add stuff to the garland or make other holiday brushes using the steps in the tutorial.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: December 2012 Video Tutorial -Deck The Halls! Making a Garland Brush

I had some fun with this! I even tried using a photo of a vintage ornament from my tree and used the bitmap tracer following the video

It made a cute wreath
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brush wreath.png 
Views:	193 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	93552  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: December 2012 Video Tutorial -Deck The Halls! Making a Garland Brush

You did good, Frances.

I was hoping someone would wrap the garland around a circle!

My Best,

Gary

I assume that if you are left handed, you make strokes right to left as you will be drawing left to right
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Um, no.

Actually, I'm left-handed, Grace.

The orientation of the stroke as you build it should be horizontal, left to right. Here's the bough: >>>>>>>>>o>>>>>>>

Now as you saw in the video, I dragged left to right and the garland was produced as expected.

Drag right to left and the pine cone will be upside-down, because the stroke has a definite up and down orientation.

...and I'm glad you asked this, because I wanted to explain this in more detail in the video, but it was getting dark and mom wanted me to come in and get cleaned up for dinner.

-g

[My version of the garland. Plus, thanks to Francis for the frame and the "other Gary" for the box tutorial.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]93618[/ATTACH]

Name:	card.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	93619  
    Last edited by gracehjs; 19 December 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: can't spell
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

I like that Grace, I like that font too. what is it called?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    I like that Grace, I like that font too. what is it called?
    Its called Acropolis.
    Grace
    Xara Software XDP11

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just finished the garland tut. so added a garland to the Deer in France's tut.

Stygg

Name:	Deer 2.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	93639