Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question How many pigeons is a problem?

Dear experts from all over the world who probably have more experience with wildlife than I do,

We feed the birds all winter, and normally it's a mix of everything you would like in your garden, with a few, infrequent, unwelcome visitors. But at the moment most of the birds are ring-collared doves, and they are dominating everything, and costing us a fortune in seed if the other birds are to get any.

Should I just suck it up? Or do you think ten plus pigeons is becoming a problem, and I am making a rod for my own back?

Wildlife, bird, farming experts - I would appreciate your advice. I don't dislike the birds. I think they are quite pretty. There's just so many.

Thanks.

Ali

Default Re: How many pigeons is a problem?

PS I forgot to add, we live in the countryside, surrounded by farms on all sides, which might influence your reply.

pigeons are rats with wings - ring-collared doves are just rats with wings in a fancy suit

if they have moved in then I'd be inclined to stop until they go somewhere else;

otherwise you may just end up with a lot more than ten....

Handrawn, I suspected as much. How sad. We have so many young pheasants and other beautiful birds in the garden, and they are a delight. But I know you are right. We are also getting squirrels at the bird feeder now, which we don't want.

Once or twice in the fall, a flock of Robins invade our home and our water dishes. They are beautiful birds but after a short while the area is covered in red robin poop. If pigeons come to live you really will have a mess on your hands or porches or roofs or on the tops of your statues of generals on horseback or on top of your cars. I'm not keen on pigeons. Or Robins.

I would get a squirrel proof bird feeder - the one that has a cage round the feeder. The pigeons are too big to get in while the small birds can.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyboots View Post
    Dear experts from all over the world who probably have more experience with wildlife than I do,

We feed the birds all winter, and normally it's a mix of everything you would like in your garden, with a few, infrequent, unwelcome visitors. But at the moment most of the birds are ring-collared doves, and they are dominating everything, and costing us a fortune in seed if the other birds are to get any.

Should I just suck it up? Or do you think ten plus pigeons is becoming a problem, and I am making a rod for my own back?

Wildlife, bird, farming experts - I would appreciate your advice. I don't dislike the birds. I think they are quite pretty. There's just so many.

Thanks.

Ali
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

I agree with Grace.

We use bird-feeders and although it doesn't stop the pigeons (we get Wood Pigeons) coming to pick up the crumbs that fall out, they can't get at the seed itself. They're a darned nuisance, but there's nothing you can do to stop them except try and scare them off - yet they still come back, and get braver each time.

There was a funny incident earlier this year. I came home from work and casually looked kitchen window and thought "that's a big pigeon". I did a double-take and realised it was a huge hawk chowing down ON a Wood Pigeon. It stayed until it had eaten the whole thing - bones, feathers, the lot.

We didn't get a single pigeon for over a week after that.

So get bird feeders - or a big bird of prey!

that you could do, though I have yet to see a 100% squirrel proof design, it's amazing what a determined squirrel can do.. but it will keep the small birds happy, but maybe not the pheasants

[ Gary: robins are nasty vicious killers that hound their fellows mercilessly and should not be held in anything like the esteem they are; still on the bright side they're not as bad as cats....Name:  exit.gif
Views: 136
Size:  3.5 KB]

I actually have a squirrel proof feeder, it has a feeding ledge that wont bear a squirrels weight. But. they try everyday. It is very amusing watching them try.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    that you could do, though I have yet to see a 100% squirrel proof design, it's amazing what a determined squirrel can do.. but it will keep the small birds happy, but maybe not the pheasants

[ Gary: robins are nasty vicious killers that hound their fellows mercilessly and should not be held in anything like the esteem they are; still on the bright side they're not as bad as cats....Name:  exit.gif
Views: 136
Size:  3.5 KB]
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Get a cat