Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The September 2012 Guest Tutorial Discussion-Creating Textured Extrusions

Creating Textured Extrusions with Displacement Maps - September 2012 Tips and Tricks Tutorial

Angelize (Frances Proctor) demonstrates in this month's guest Tips and Tricks tutorial how you can use a Xara Live Effects plugin filter, ImageSkill's Displacement Map to move 3D extruded text from ordinary to extraordinary. She shows how you can create an effect in Xara Designer Pro X, a 2D vector drawing program that looks like it was created and texture mapped in a 3D modeling and rendering program.

So spend some time to read through and experiment with the technique and then show us your work here. You don't need to limit yourself to extuded text either, you can work this technique on any extruded object or group of objects.
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default Re: The September 2012 Guest Tutorial Discussion-Creating Textured Extrusions

Frances' tutorial demonstrates the "thinking outside of the box" approach I'd like to learn from, and teach more often.

Xaraists have a problem making the sides of an extruded object anything other than a solid color: angelize found a solution, and we don't even have to exit the program to get the piece finished.

Nice going!

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: The September 2012 Guest Tutorial Discussion-Creating Textured Extrusions

I enjoyed the tut. by Francis Gary and also learnt a little trick to make it totally transparent, no big deal but could come in handy.

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X is X.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	92231  

Actually, the last panel is a nice piece of art in and of itself, stygg!

Well done!

-g

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Very nice Stygg Thanks for posting your results!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.