Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default splitting up website...

Hi All,

Our existing website has grown to the size where it's too slow to move between pages in WDMXP and so am toying with the idea of splitting up the website into different sections and placing them in folders on our Host.

My questions are:
    1 - in doing the above, will the Xara sitemap be able to allocate/find properly the pages in the different folders rather than just uploading a sitemap for the section I'm publishing at that point in time?
    2 - in working on the different areas, when I upload them, will I end up with multiple sitemaps?
    3 - in splitting up the website in different folders, will I end up with multiple 'index' pages?
    4 - question three reminds me of this 4th question which is this: I've uploaded the website as one single website, so not split up. But... it appears that automatically, I've got two home pages. One is www.mobileremaps.co.uk the other is www.mobileremaps.co.uk/index. Why does it do this and how do I stop this from happening. I'm told by my SEO guy that for a new website it's not so important but then as a website grows and is seen as more relevant, you could get penalised in natural rankings due to duplicate content.

thanks for your help
    al

Default Re: splitting up website...

[1] No
    [2] Yes
    [3] Yes
    [4] Your 2nd URL = Page not found. 404

Hi,
    Also adding to what Steve said if you group all material that is 'Static' and grouping they load a little faster. That is to say all decoration stuff that is repeated.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

That's for that. So how do i split up the website without having multiple index pages and sitemaps?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    [3] Yes
    [4] Your 2nd URL = Page not found. 404
    ...[3] Only if you name the first page in the subsite as index. You can call it what you will and the 'index_htm_files' folder is set to the name of the first page: gallery.htm would have an associated 'gallery_htm_files' folder.
    ...[4] I assume you mean www.mobileremaps.co.uk/index.htm as this works; I checked if mobileremaps.co.uk/index.htm and mobileremaps.co.uk also resolved. It is possibly a "service" your provider is supplying through your .htaccess file.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoEvo View Post
    That's for that. So how do i split up the website without having multiple index pages and sitemaps?
    Don't use Xara to generate your Sitemap:
    "[Xara DPX Help] > [Publishing your Website] > 6.If you want a sitemap generated for your website, or if you want your site included in the Xara User Gallery, you need to enter the full URL of your published website in the Website URL field. See the Publish tab help for information on sitemaps. The Include my website in the user gallery checkbox is only enabled if you have added a valid website URL. If you select this option, after publishing your site Designer Pro displays your website in Xara's gallery of websites created by Designer Pro users. Visit the gallery at http://www.xara.com/websitegallery or click the More Info button to learn more."

Use an online tool instead and FTP it after your sites are published: e.g., http://tools.webmasters.sk/sitemap-creator.php or http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/.

www.mobileremaps.co.uk/index.htm & www.mobileremaps.co.uk are one and the same page. If the index.htm bit is missed off your browser looks for this in the directory www.mobileremaps.co.uk . It first looks for index.html and if this isn't found it looks for index.htm then perhaps default.html or home.html

It isn't a great job just creating a master sitemap.xml file from each of the smaller sitemap.xml file that xara creates, just remember not to overwrite this one you've created in your root folder.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host