Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down save prefs/settings

Hi Folks,

I just want to say I have found that no one, I mean no one of all "bright heads" at Xara, with a single brain cell had a tiny tiny thought about making it possible for a user to save - USER PREFERENCES or if some prefer USER SETTINGS.

How many users has spend millions of hours on creating their own tool and control bars look according to each ones needs.
    How many milions of hours has all users spend on the same issue after each upgrade of the Xara, to no mention, reinstalling Xara after some HD crash etc.

Instead of just finding the PREFERENCES or SETTINGS file I use and load it to brand new upgrade of new XARA and spare lot off unnecessary job and time loss.

So I ask, is there someone who has anough intelligence to make simple button called - SAVE USER PREFS or SAVE USER SETTINGS!?

Actualy I am pissed of and I damn Xara those who created that hell.

So please fix some quick update with the function -
    SAVE USER PREFS or SAVE USER SETTINGS - Now!

pissed of
    Pawel
    Last edited by pawel; 30 July 2012 at 07:02 PM.

Default Re: save prefs/settings

I think you are not happy?

We have all had this happen. And yes, it does not make one happy. But using Adobe Illustrator does not make me happy either.

Hi gwpriester,

I am not unhappy actualy, but as I wrote I am pissed of when each time somethig happends I must spend few hours
    to configure my tool bar and control bars as I have configured it before.

cheers
    Pawel

a few hours ? - you do keep notes of the changes you have previously made, surely? - at the very least some screen shots...

Last time I did this, for XDPX, it took me half an hour, and that includes registry tweaks... and incorporating the new stuff, which you would have to do anyway....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I completely agree with you that it is very annoying that you cannot port customized settings when upgrading. I understand that a complicating factor is that new features and/or buttons are not included in your old settings but I would imagine that this could be dealt with through (at least) a warning message.

Even though it doesn't work when upgrading to a new version, XaReg might be useful for saving your customized toolbars and settings so that when something happens to your current setup you can easily restore them. Here is the link:
    http://www.xaraxone.com/html/xareg.html. Select File/Save/Settings or /Toolbars.

XaReg rules! I use it both to save custom controlbars and settings from one release to another and to transfer them to XDP on my home machine.

Note that when new tools appear — such as the ShapeBuilder and the Eraser — you'll have to add them to your custom bars manually.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    I use it both to save custom controlbars and settings from one release to another...
    As far as I know transferring custom toolbars only works for point releases and not for a full upgrade (e.g., XDP 7 to XDP X).

You may be right, although I thought I recalled bringing over my v7 bars and adding the new tools. Perhaps I was just thinking about taking the config file home to sync my office and home environments.

At least two hours since I need it to be as it was from the begining and that I can tell you it takes time to remember
    in what order all those tools and function icons was palced when created it first time.

I've had this issue with so many applications over the years that I take screen captures when I have everything set up and store them in a safe place.