Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Dictionary transfer

Since upgrading to DPX I have found the dictionary is 'new' i.e all the 100's of technical words I have added for a client to DP7 are with that programme and now in DPX show up as typos. How do I remove the dictionary in DPX and install/copy the one from DP7?

cheers

Scruffy

Ps Development team an upgrade feature could be just to have 'ignore all instances' as word does that would solve it
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Default Re: Dictionary transfer

I think this will work.

Go to C:/program files (86) > Xara > Designer Pro 7 > dict folder. Copy the en_GB.aff and en_GB.dic files and paste to replace these in Designer Pro X > dict folder.

Cheers G

will give it a whirl

scruffy
    "A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

It did not work ..from Xara support

Gary's close, but in the wrong folder.

You need to copy the userdict.dic file which is stored in C:\Users\YOUR COMPUTER NAME\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\7.1\userdict.dic to C:\Users\YOUR COMPUTER NAME\AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\8.1\userdict.dic

Scruffy

Ah, we both learned something.

Soquili, would this be something for the new version of XaReg?

XaReg - short for Regsitry.

This is not a registry 'hack' it's copying an old user dictionary file between versions.

So true, but a utility could be listed under "Tools" that displays the locations of the dictionary files of the various versions of Xara software installed so that they would at least be easy to find. An option to open the respective folders could perhaps be included.

Another option might be allowing the user to change the registry's path of the new version's dictionary to the one of the old version. Or would an uninstall of an older version also delete the dictionary files?

Uninstalling an older version removes all the files in the C:\Program Files\Xara\version name folder. This is one reason it is not a good idea to put your personal files for fills, templates, etc. in the Program Files path.

As Pete said the dictionary file isn't a registry 'hack' and can be easily done using Windows Explorer or other similar utility.
    Last edited by Soquili; 15 June 2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Clearly not a good idea, then.