Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can't open eps file

I received a .eps file (actually two of them) and cannot open it. I tried two different macs (Tiger & Leopard). Tried Illustrator CS 2, 3, 4, & 5. Tried Distiller and preview. Tried to import to InDesign, Illustrator & Quark. I keep getting "The file is in an unknown format and cannot be opened.
    Emailed it to a friend who opened it immediately (Leopard & CS5), saved and returned a working file. What's up? Any thoughts? I can't keep emailing people to open my files for me.

Thanks
    IP

Default Re: Can't open eps file

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I don't know what the answer to this is but check back. Someone should have some suggestions.
    IP

After dragging this file to most every application I own, I dumped it onto StuffItt Expander. TaDa!!! A eps file I could open. How or why was this compressed on my machine(s) when it wasn't on my friends? I received this file via email, but forwarded the same. Could my browser or ISP be compressing files? I'm lost.
    IP

The only way I know is to let people help. Post your file and also ask file owners what they produce the .eps file with. As most people on this site work on a PC could you twork in that format.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP