Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Error read only file system

This is an error that i have not seen before but is preventing publish.

The site exports then when still on 0% upload the error 1.png read only file system. All that was changed was the introduction of static background tweak but ive since deleted the placeholder and still getting the error message

Default Re: Error read only file system

Does this happen after rebooting your computer?

I'll just try to republish another document if it still happens on that I'll reboot... back in few minutes

no it is still happening - i tried another document before restarting and got the same error and then rebooted tried again and still got the same error.

Have you installed anything new since the last successful publish? Any new security software or OS updates.
    If the last successful publish was just a few days ago, consider a system restore to a point just before this.

You may want to run a chkdisk on the drive. I've seen that error quite a few times on a linux system partition when there are some drive errors. I haven't seen it on a Windows system. Normally, when I see it, I'll have the hard drive replaced as it's on a hosting server. I'll have a fsck performed on the drive which normally will get it back up and running again until I can schedule the drive replacement.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

oh, that sounds quite serious. Thank you both for your advice. No, I've not installed any new updates or software, even windows auto updates are disabled. The error message is being generated by WD - does this still imply that the error is with the system and not just in Xara? I've got a real lot to do today too.....

I just remembered, my anti-virus (mcafee) has auto updates enabled - I dont know whether it's updated before this error appeared, but that's the only thing that *could* have installed between the programme working ok and not
    Last edited by Megg81; 28 May 2012 at 07:30 AM.

This sounds to me more like the FTP server you are publishing to is returning the "read only filesystem" error. If the local export part of the publish process is working correctly and the publish progress dialog is appearing before the error appears then this is almost certainly the case.

Do you have any other FTP client program you can use to check if your FTP server is working correctly?

The most likely causes of the problem are that you may have accidentally changed your publish settings or that your provider's FTP server has a problem. So, check to make sure that your publish settings are correct (especially the "Sub-folder" setting).

It is possible to capture publish related logging information from WD but it requires a registry tweak and the running of a trace capture program. If you are comfortable with this then set the Options/Publish/FTPTrace registry entry to 1 to turn on the logging. Make sure you close WD first and find the correct set of options in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara for the version of the program you are running (your profile page says WebDesigner 6). Then download and run the DebugView program from MicroSoft:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896647.aspx

The easiest way is to click on the "Run DebugView now from Live.SysInternals.com" link at the bottom of the page.

Then run WD and try your publish operation again. After the error simply save the DebugView window as a file and attach it here.

If the problem is with the FTP transfer then this should include more detailed information about how and why it failed.

Gerry

Hi Gerry, thanks for your reply. I've been using a different computer to publish from today and have not encountered the error.

After reading your message I've published from my own computer to a different file on the same server just to test it and I haven't received the error message. I can't try publishing back to the previous site right now and risk any errors as I have it up and working. If I encounter the error again then I will investigate further. Perhaps (and hopefully) it was a temporary error returned by the server. I tried publishing some different files to different folders on the server last night and I received the same error message each time so I know it wasn't confined only to the file I was working on or the folder I was publishing to. I hope it is resolved.

Actually, I'd say GerryI is correct. If you are publishing and receiving that error, then you should contact your host and have them look into it. There wouldn't be anything you could do.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com