Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Mould tool use

Default Mould tool use

I took some pics of much of my dad's art collection, hoping to help advertise them for sale. To avoid glass reflections, I shot them all at an angle, thinking that it wouldn't be a big deal to correct the trapezoidal distortion. I can't, however, seem to get the barrel distortion to totally go away. If any of you have any helpful techniques that you'd like to share, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Mould tool use

Make a bitmap copy of the moulded photo then use the Deformation filter>>Barrel/Pincushion correction LE on it.

Something like the attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-15_233001.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	89502  

Curtis have you tried using the Live Effect tools?

The Live Effects > Deformation > Barrel/Pincushion Correction works effectively. Move the slider to the right to correct for pincushion effect or to the left to correct for barrel distortion.

EDIT: I see Steve beat me to the post.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The perspective mould tool does not have the facility to remove barrel distortion. The other mould tool only works on vector objects. You could use the bitmap tracer to convert to vectors, distort your image and then make a bitmap copy, but the tracing may not be easy.

I think the other suggestions are much better than mine - ignore this!
    Last edited by tonylondon; 15 May 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Other posts
    Tony

Thanks for the very swift and helpful recommendation. I'm off to experiment with the Live Effects > Deformation > Barrel/Pincushion Correction tool!

It worked beautifully for me. Thanks guys. I'm currently doing a website (with Xara Designer Pro 7) to highlight the artwork. I'll share when done.

The first thing I would try is the Photo Tool > Perspective Correction tool.

You may need to rotate the photo, make a bitmap copy and then try the perspective correction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	perspective-correction.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	89504  

Using the Perspective Control is a good option, except that it still takes much more manipulation than the demo video would have you believe (at least that's my experience, with my photos). When I use the Perspective Control tool on these pics, they scrunch down to be quite narrow. I must then horizontally stretch them, then use the Live Effects > Deformation > Barrel/Pincushion Correction tool (because of the dramatic frame curvature at the top & bottom of the frame).

I have found that with some photos it works perfectly and with other photos is does not do what you think it will. But it is always worth a try.

I have used the Default Perspective envelope for some photos with success but then you have to make a bitmap copy before you crop.