Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Q. to Gare about font mapping (again!)

You're a very patient and helpful man, I'll say that for you! And I just ran into another problem....we settled on using Unicode hex values eventually because they could be typed almost directly into Word, and of course Notepad, etc go their own sweet way. So there I was happily, typing hex codes, followed by Alt X, and there were the symbols. Happy bunny. Once I know where the symbols we've created are, and that I can type something and make them appear on a page, I'm happy.

But I wanted to put these characters into an Excel spreadsheet to make up a table for the use of someone else...and Excel didn't want to know. I couldn't copy and paste, I couldn't type the hex value. I could insert them as a picture. Deep joy. I had called up our modified font in Excel, tried all the above, and nothing happened. Well, nothing I wanted. So I can call this stuff up in Unicode in Word, and it works, but I can't get it to happen in Excel. Anyone know the secret?

Seriously, is there somewhere I can look that explains the whole relationship between a font, code pages and keyboard drivers. It may keep me sane. And you, if I stop asking you silly questions.

Regards

Staggers.

Default Re: Q. to Gare about font mapping (again!)

There's something awry in your approach, staggers. This is getting far harder than it reasonably should be.

First: why Unicode? This is for multi-linual page support and according to what I hear from you, you and your partner have created a set of symbolic glyphs, right?

If what you want to create now is a character map for others to quickly get the character they need, why not use Xara? You do an alpha-numeric column, copy it, and then assign the column your typeface, easy peasey.

Our first collaborative effort here is a symbol font, and it has about 60 characters, all of which we mapped to alpha-numberic registers in the typeface.

You have more than 60 symbols in this set?

If you'd like, you can PM me, give me a private email address that can accept attachments, and I'll look at what you've created. It's very hard for me to work in a vacuum here—seeing the font would help a great deal.

-g-