Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: The tg Font Collaboration Thread

Thanks Frances.

Christine MS Word often makes irrational choices when overriding a font's kerning.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default RoundGHead kerning and stuff

Word processors, dtp programs, and design programs all can read internal data on a typeface differently, and produce different results. Understand that a typeface can have both kerning information and metrics information. The function of these two data sets often overlaps. For example, one of the things metrics information does is define the space around a character, while kerning information defines the space between two characters.

Add to this the reality that Microsoft has a vested interest in making typefaces that Microsoft has commissioned look the best, while I see no reason why Microsoft would care if a 3rd party font rendered to screen flawlessly.

Consider that a font rendered to screen in MS Word doesn't print that way, not always. WYSIWYG has been an output joke since Apple produced the first GUI.

My recommendation is to test this font against Xara, where you can enable both metrics and kerning pairs for entered text.

++++++++++++++++

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tg-wireframe.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	89191

On a distantly related note, I thought it would be a nice and subtle branding of our fonts if one of the extended characters had the old(er) TalkGraphics logo, attached.

-g-
    Attached Files Attached Files