Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro 8 - new options

I'm with you on DTP-type features, Tony. FWIW, I asked Kate Moir in her thread about WD MX whether the new Text Styles feature would have an equivalent in the next Designer Pro version, and she said yes. Now this could mean that - as we would expect - the web-design aspects of Designer Pro 8 (MX?) will include this feature, OR that there will indeed be a paper-focused text style feature. I'm hoping for an InDesign or Ventura-type paragraph tagging tool which would get us nearer to a DTP-type workflow. Fingers crossed!

Jon

I would love to see some effort put into the DTP end of Xara. Tables that work like tables and not as a resizeable image would be great. Longer document handling - YES! But right now - I am struggling with tables in Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by thegitksan View Post
    Tables that work like tables and not as a resizeable image would be great.
    Agreed. Lack of tables in a modern day app that wants to compete in web and DTP document creation is a glaring omission. Vote here.

I too would appreciate tables being included in at least XDP.

However, I don't consider XDP "DTP" software anymore than I think of Illustrator in that category. I look at design applications as adjuncts to actual, purposeful, page layout software. The style capability is certainly welcome for short brochure work and such. Even so, I look at both of these additions as being mainly more beneficial to web work (which I don't do) that laying out even a small brochure.

My main hope is for more drawing capability additions--ones which have been requested for ages from reading past threads.

Likely everyone (myself included) will get something that makes XDP "that much better."

Take care, Mike

The following would be greatly appreciated (seen from my work perspective):
    - Creation of tables with possibilities of table line and cell formatiing
    - Import of Excel files
    - Automatic page numbering
    (funny nobody thought about this. It would improve document making a lot)
    - When exporting black color to PDF/X use Pantone black C and not CMYK
    This avoids fuzzy text when color is not correctly aligned

But let's admit: it must be d.... hard to improve an already beautyful program!!!!

the most necessary and vital function which designers need is Gradient Mesh (as in Illustrator) and full support of formats eps & ai - which will allow interaction with other programmes and cooperative work with other designers

Hello everyone, I apologize now for the bad translation
    If XDP8 there was the possibility to change the html code interacting with programs I'd be glad, because I always update me the other sites because there is no possibility to do so with programs like dreamweawer or directly through the browser.
    I would be very helpful, so anyone who wants a site with a news page you can update the site directly from the browser, now you can not in any way.
    Sites created with the new XDP8 can be modified and or updated as sites created with other programs, where you can edit directly through the browser or html programs enabling them to make them more dynamic?
    This option allows anyone to manage and update content with a few simple steps. Each web page becomes editable directly from Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari.
    But with sites created with XDP7 is not possible!!

Greetings Milena

Xara Designer (or Web Designer) are not CMS creators or HTML editors.
    You could download the trial of Web Designer MX to test the new features of version 8 right now.. These new web features will be included in the next version of Xara Designer.