Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: XWD as an enhanced ebook authoring system

Hi sledger,
    Maybe the link did work - it's just that the site looked a bit "odd" (that's probably me being suspicious, I used to work for a content security company).

Maybe Gary can clarify, but I interpreted his comment, here "An Android app builder would be killer!" as meaning something like,

"Using XWD as a computer-based (ie. desktop or laptop running Windows, Linux or OSX) development environment for Andoid apps would be a killer".

A lot of Android apps are actually developed on another platform and are then "compiled" (or equivalent) for the phone or tablet.

I would totally agree with you that developing small apps directly on an Android device is possible.

Cheers,
    SPuD

You're getting confused. Neither Gary nor I suggested building Androids apps on an Android device.
    Neither are the links I offered for his no obligation perusal.

Right now, using Xara Designer to create the graphics for android apps is already being done, it is in fact ideal.
    I can't see XWD being turned into a Java development tool.

Isn't the thing that makes Xara great as a design package (WYSIWYG), also the thing that makes it weak as an eBook system?

Ebooks need to adapt their layout according to form factor, but Xara has always worked with fixed layouts. If we want fixed layouts, then PDF is fine.

Gary - I understand the frustration that is Apple's app submission programme, the tortuous route to app submission combined with the need to pay Apple a licence fee and have access to or own a Mac.

I too have been frustrated by that, but I do understand what a genious thing it is for Apple. It has allowed them to boost their bottom line and bring back software development to the Mac.

-Apple gets a yearly licence fee from all Apple developers.
    -Apple sells Macs to those developers
    -Apple encourages developers to use their tools and development language
    -Apple is set to reinvigorate Mac software development by bringing the same skills learnt by "iDevelopers" into play on a Mac AppStore.

Not great for cross-platform windows developers, but an inspired stance by Apple who managed to leverage their hardware advantage into a software advantage when Mac had gone way down as a software development platform.

They did a great job for the company.

Hi Pauland,

To your point...

Isn't the thing that makes Xara great as a design package (WYSIWYG), also the thing that makes it weak as an eBook system?

Ebooks need to adapt their layout according to form factor, but Xara has always worked with fixed layouts. If we want fixed layouts, then PDF is fine.

You're right - the first generation of ebooks were variable layout (text reflowing). But there is now a fixed layout EPUB "standard", and more specifically is that the enhanced ebooks (ie. with video, animated figures, quizzes etc.) that Apple is selling are all fixed layout.

It's exactly because XWD has great WYSIWYG capability that I thought it might be a good fixed-layout, enhanced ebook development package.

BTW - I'm not arguing against PDF. I guess I'm saying that I need a good development environment for enhanced ebooks. If the output is PDF and it looks as good as the iBooks then I'll be happy.

However, if Xara did become interested in adapting XWD to this role, then I suspect EPUB would be an easier output option for them. From what I understand of EPUB it's basically HTML in a ZIP file.

Cheers,
    SPuD

Just in case Xara folks are interested in the business case.

Check out this story of a Russian billionaire using proprietry tablets in Russian schools.

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/arch...uptor?page=all

It looks like one of the big uses of the enhanced ebook is as a textbook. In the US there will be high school teachers creating their own iBooks because the software is breathtakingly easy to use.

But this Russian guy is using a "proprietary tablet". I suspect he'll be using a version of Android on it, but if it can run an enhanced EPUB reader then Xara could sell thousands of copies of XWD into Russia for content development.

Schools and universities all around the world are going to want to develop these enhanced ebooks. This is why Apple made the software free of charge - they know they'll recoup that investment many times over.

Anyway - OSX Lion almost finished installing on my daughter's MacBook Pro. I should be able to try the iBook Author out soon

Cheers,
    SPuD

All I am saying is if Xara created a Xara style product for creating Android apps it would be pretty terrific (killer).

Steve - You are an endless resource. I'll check that out.

Don't thank me, thank Google for having the patience to put up with my insistent querying

I too wish for an epub export function as I am also using Xara to do a graphic novel.
    Sheff
    My Site

Hi sledger,
    Sorry if I'm confused

I'll admit that you can think of an enhanced ebook as a form of tablet app.

But looking at what the iBook Author system does, that's pretty much what I would be looking for in any enhanced ebook development system.

The downside is that it only runs on an iPad (which I do not own).

Pauland mentioned the same thing - Apple is really clever at getting people like me, who actively avoid their products, to even contemplate going to the Dark Side.

I have to say the authoring envionment seems to be incredibly compelling.

But just think - if XWD could do something similar for cross-platform it would be a real killer application.

Cheers,
    SPuD