Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: New to this

Hybrid View

Default Re: New to this

Quote Originally Posted by IeMS View Post
    Still learning the terminology with this program. My immediate goal is to figure out how to make white background of a pic transparent without making the white text transparent also - such as with the HTML5 logo.
    Many simple drawings and logos are best created by hand using the vector tools available in Xara P&GD7, the HTML5 logo is a perfect example of one that should take no more than 15 minutes by a complete novice.
    Rather than using bitmap plugins and faffing around placing white shapes behind the white areas you wanted to retain, just lock the bitmap then use the Shape Tool to trace it by hand.

You'll find plenty of tutorials at the XaraXone, both Xara user forums, YouTube and the Xara help file itself regarding use of the shape tool.

The beauty of creating your own vector drawing is it is resolution independent meaning it can be resized smaller or larger without any loss of quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	html5.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	88297  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I wasn't getting the trace tool. I must be using it wrong because it wasn't keeping the clarity of the pic. I did a google search and found a video on masking. Used the shape tool (first time mentioned without seeing it was was thinking she meant using a shape - square / circle etc - huh?) but seeing it I understand now - I think.

Now I have to figure out how to save the thing with the transparent background. Keeps importing with the white after exporting as png.

I remember a tool in MS Paint about 15 years ago - the lasoo that would shrink to the shape of the object. That was much simpler.

Still learning. Thanks.
    Last edited by IeMS; 25 March 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Xara vector formats are vastly superior to bitmap formats for such work as this. As mentioned, resizing for other purposes is simple in comparison to bitmaps images.

You need to think vector drawing tools and get use to them. They are powerful and mostly do not correspond to bitmap editor tools.

Also as mentioned, this type of drawing is faster to simply draw using the vector tools, not tracing.

Take care, Mike

Sorry to be so green, but I hear tracing with the shape tool and masking, which did what I wanted (after trying the "trace" tool under utilities which wasn't working), but then I hear to use the vector tools. Favor - please point me to the vector tools then? Is it in the manual? Was that the "trace" tool under utilities? What setting do I use for a simple logo to start off with?

Also, please tell me how do I save this dern file and keep the transparent background? I export and import and the white background comes back. Help?

Sorry to be such a novice. I am not used to having the ability to modify my own pics, but have been simply limited to using pics as is.

Thanks for your time and putting up with the new guy.

Rob

Ok. I think I am understanding what you mean with "tracing." I was assuming you meant the bitmap tracing tool.

If you need to export a bitmap image of your drawing for use in a website and desire transparency, use PNG format and make sure you select True Color + Alpha in the color depth drop down box like in the screen shot.

Take care, MikeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-03-25 07-26-38_PNG Export Bitmap Options.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	88306

That did the trick. When choosing where to save the file to, there is a settings button that gets to your screen shot. That is what I missed. Sometimes I can figure it out, sometimes I need to be shown. Thanks again.

Glad you got it sorted out.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.