Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
So how many fonts is too many?(assuming here that one is not doing a fonts site as that is a different critter) I think that 3 maybe 4 tops on a site is plenty and I don't think I would use more than 3 very often.

What fonts pair well together?
Two questions. First Q, I don't think it is much (if at all) different than print as regards how many fonts to use. I can see using 3–4 depending upon the web site.

Second Q. Fonts should convey meaning and I think especially with a web site, structure that fits the design aesthetic. If I design something for print, I think I can get away with being a little more adventurous because someone reading a printed piece is a more or less captive audience. At least more so than the web.

With a web site, there is precious little time to convey the site and its contents to new visitors (returning viewers have made a commitment, so I am disregarding them here). So for me, I need to be clear about the site and its information straight away. Still, it depends on the site and its contents as to what fonts I would pair together. For a business, I would tend to be most conventional (sans serifs for body headings, either serif or sans serif for main title heads, and likely a good readable sans serif for the body).

But that is perhaps just me. Even with print design, I tend towards conventional, conservative lay out and do so with web sites as well.

Take care, Mike