Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Gary plays with Coolsville

Oh Dear!

By the time I finished drawing, things started to warm up a bit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coolsville.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	88100  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Cooper got a bit overused in the early, so-called DTP era. I remember seeing it used on near-countless newsletters and brochures that came through the service bureau I worked for through the 1990s fixing files for them that originated on PCs.

Stylized, it hit several LP album covers, tie-dyed t-shirts, etc.

Here's my little play for the day--Thanks Frances

Take care, Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hippie_design_works.png 
Views:	455 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	88103

Nice take on Cooper Black, Mike!

There were two reasons why a PC file would break a Macintosh print job, weren't there?

1. The PostScript font was inexpertly crafted.

2. CorelDRAW was used to create the art.

CorelDRAW sometimes gets an undeserved bad rap for muxing up print jobs in the early 1990s, but this was largely due to a bureau absolutely insisting on specific parameters for the PostScript, and that Corel corporation originally was a print driver company, specializing in woodcutting and engraving and even embroidery rips, but not genuine PostScript.

-g-

Yeah, and like today, files come from so many varied sources, some bureaus have gotten use to installing about every application under the sun to deal with original files.

I began my design business with CD 1.2 (and Professional Draw). I never had a failed PS file. Heck, I still have some on SyQuest drives somewhere, which is how the PS files were exchanged with the main printer I used (and fixed files for).

By 1992, font collections literally exploded. I still have a dozen of the 5.25 floppies from SWFTE, which I think was about the first commercially viable source I remember. But we all traded via BBS, dial-up modems. Ah, the memories. But as you mention, so many were really, really poorly crafted fonts. So PC work in general got a really bad wrap simply because it was such an open system compared to MACs that people could freely exchange things (no matter how they got them).

Anyway, thanks for the compliment. It was a fun diversion while the second pot of coffee was brewing. But, I owe, I owe, so off to work I go. Wait...what's that? My youngest just suggested I go with him and play a round of whack-a-ball (golf).

Take care, Mike
    (who has obviously had enough coffee)

SWFTE fonts could play "Whack a Ball" with anyone's system, Mike!

Their offerings were uneven; some typefaces were expert while others would barf a PS printer. And you know why?

That company finally got sued out of business by Adobe, HP, Emigré, and Bitstream for copying not only their fonts, but copying them node for node, in other works they probably just renamed the fonts they ripped off.

-g-
    Last edited by Gare; 18 March 2012 at 04:34 PM.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thanks Mike Gary,and Rik for playing! I like all three examples. We are already seeing some great plays, keep em coming!

Gary: I think I'll pass on that candy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Cooper Black sighting

Shopping bag from our village market.

Not a supermarket, mind you, but a fairly nostalgic grocery market, playing jazz Muzak instead of Country or top 40, where the latest sweetener is Nutrasweet and they never heard of Splenda.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cooper sighting.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	88148