Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Export To PDF Question

I created an ad in color but might possibly be required to provide it in black and white also. However, The file contains an image that's in color. So I need to know if there is an option to print the file to PDF in black and white? I looked in help and try changed the settings many times to no avail. Please let me know if this is possible. I'm using DP7.

Thanks,
    Steve

Default Re: Export To PDF Question

No there is no facility to do that properly in Xara. There are a few work a rounds but they still leave the bitmap as RGB even after export to PDF and it is up to the RIP software at the printers to change it to CMYK. You can use the channels in the Live Effects menu, you can use a desaturated transparency over the bitmap but all leave the bitmap a bit low in definition best to get a hold of a bitmap paint programme or you can use programmes like IPhoto or Google’s Picasa or Photoshop Elements and then it is just one click.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Well, I was hoping Xara might have provided a solution but I will remove the saturation for now. I'll also check out the programs you suggested.

Thanks

Many of us have been hoping for too long for true grayscale support and for one , two , and multi-spot color support.

But I guess it is not a high priority.

Thanks for your reply, Gary. It would be a really nice feature to have in such a powerful graphics program as Xara.

Do you think Xara will ever rival Photoshop given that they include such features as this and others requested by professional graphic artists like yourself? Just curious.

Do you think Xara will ever rival Photoshop given that they include such features as this and others requested by professional graphic artists like yourself? Just curious.
    No. And I don't think Xara has any intention of competing with Photoshop. Xara provides the basic and most used photo editing tools.

That said, I used to spend a lot of time in Photoshop doing various photo edits. But about the only things I do these days is convert Xara's black and white bitmaps to true grayscale and convert RGB color to CMYK. Xara can do this but I am not as comfortable with Xara's results. Other than that, I do everything else in Xara. Except of course spot color support with bitmap images. Some day...