Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Circles and rounded rectangles have jagged lines

Looks fine here.

Angelize, I had a similar error earlier tonight. Closing and reopening XDP seems to have cleared it.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

a second attempt to open the file was successful and like Drwyd I can't find anything wrong. However looking at your screenshot something doesn't look right. Try closing and reopening Xara as Drwyd has suggested and see if that clears the problem. If that doesn't fix it you may need to restart your computer and if that still doesn't fix it you may need to do a re install.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

angelize, I use Pro 6.

Closing and reopening the program doesn't help. This has been going on for a long time, with these jagged lines like this, but it wasn't until now that it's become an issue, as I need the lines to be smooth in order to create images to import into a demo video.

Maybe someone can post a .xar file with a rectangle with curved corners and a circle, and I can just save that file and use those images as necessary. I just don't have enough expertise to come up with any other solution

Reinstall might be the solution, but that's a last resort. I'll go way back in my files and see if I can find a circle and rounded corner rectangle that don't have jagged lines. Thanks for the help

Edit to add: I have Xara on another computer; I'll check later tonight and see if the problem exists there, as well.
    Last edited by Advocate; 20 January 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Hay, I got to put another Advocate file into the Advocate folder in my test folders...

If you have no joy on the other computer or with this file, let me know, neighbor.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi, Mike *waves*

Thanks for the file. Unfortunately, it produced no joy on this computer. I'll have to check it on the other computer tonight. Such a mystery.

Can you tell us what your screen resolution is set to?

Christine

Hi, Christine. You must be reading my mind. I was checking the screen resolution before logging back on. This is a widescreen monitor. It was set at 1280x1024. So I set it to "optimum" resolution at 1920x1080, but the same problem occurs. However, I did test it on my other computer, and although there is (to my critical eye) a wee bit of jaggedness, especially on the curved rectangle, the end result is by and large much better for my intended purposes.

So there's something that's somehow off in the program on this particular computer. The problem started quite some time ago, but I didn't address it at the time and should have. Because of time constraints, I'll have to use the other computer to finish the images for the video. Then as far as this computer is concerned, if I uninstall and reinstall Designer Pro 6, is there anything I need to be mindful of before doing so?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this. Now I need to set my 1280x1024 resolution again, because this widescreen is hard on my eyes

Could be your Windows screen scaling settings set to 120dpi (125%) rather than the standard 96dpi (100%)

If you have Windows 7 or Vista

right-click desktop >> Personalize >> display

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	display.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	86768
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Notice that 1920/1280 = 1.5. That means it's not easy to map whole pixels onto your monitor's display.

You are asking you monitor to display every two of your 1280 pixels using three of it's pixels. The computer and/or the monitor has to make a decision about whether to set the middle pixel of each of those three to the colour of the left pixel or the right pixel or do something clever and set it to a mixture of the two.

This may explain the jaggies that you are seeing.

It's always best to use the monitor's native resolution if you can, especially with LCD monitors.

Also, all versions of Xara Designer work best when Windows resolution (which Windows presents as "the size of text on your screen") is the default 100%, as Neodeist alludes to above.

Phil

Hi advocate and mwenz,
    I am using DP6 and I get perfect circles etc with no jaggies. We are talking about the black line rectangles etc aren't we. Even at 25601x these are perfect (as expected).

The playing cards are photos so they have jaggies on the corners, which of course get worse as the magnification factor is increased. That also is expected. I hope you are not talking about these.

Erik